Hello from Chicago

p-lizzle

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hi everyone, my name is Jay and I'll be adopting a Russian Tortoise soon!

I had a turtle when I was younger(I rescued him when I found him with a broken shell, took him to the vet and got him all stitched up, and released him back into the wild once he healed), but I've never had a tortoise so I'm very excited. I've even got a list of names picked out!

I just want some guidance on proper care. This time of the year Chicago is unpredictable when it comes to weather (40s one day, 75 the next, back down to 40 again) I planned on keeping them inside until the weather breaks in a few months. I've heard of using a rubbermaid container as an inexpensive enclosure, any guidance on how to go about that?

I'm going to make them a proper tortoise table out of wood and whatnot, but again, waiting for the weather to break ^.^

Danyail

Hi everyone, my name is Jay and I'll be adopting a Russian Tortoise soon!

I had a turtle when I was younger(I rescued him when I found him with a broken shell, took him to the vet and got him all stitched up, and released him back into the wild once he healed), but I've never had a tortoise so I'm very excited. I've even got a list of names picked out!

I just want some guidance on proper care. This time of the year Chicago is unpredictable when it comes to weather (40s one day, 75 the next, back down to 40 again) I planned on keeping them inside until the weather breaks in a few months. I've heard of using a rubbermaid container as an inexpensive enclosure, any guidance on how to go about that?

I'm going to make them a proper tortoise table out of wood and whatnot, but again, waiting for the weather to break ^.^
Hello Jay! My name is Danyail and I live in University Park,Illinois. I also just recently purchased a Russian tortoise so I'm still learning the ins and outs also Maybe we can compare notes and help one another get our new pet babies through this as you said "unpredictable " Illinois weather! Welcome to the group and congrats on your new friend

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I'm in Chicago. The weather is easy to handle with a tort when you have an indoor enclosure or a heated shed for them to ride the winter out. Heck, mine are kept warmer then us humans.

legan52

Chicago
I'm also near Chicago, the Joliet area specifically. I'm anxiously awaiting warmer weather to get some good basking time in the outdoor enclosure. I hope it warms up soon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm also near Chicago, the Joliet area specifically. I'm anxiously awaiting warmer weather to get some good basking time in the outdoor enclosure. I hope it warms up soon!
And stops raining. Sad that February was so much warmer and sunnier then March and what April is looking like so far.

legan52

Chicago
And stops raining. Sad that February was so much warmer and sunnier then March and what April is looking like so far.

The basement flooded today and we have more rain coming tomorrow! Yay . At least the grass is getting green!