Hello Everyone............

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
[/size] My name is Shaun and I live in central Florida.I have been an animal lover my whole life and have had numerous different turtles and other reptiles throughout my life.Mostly native species such as Gopher tortoise's,Box turtles and the numerous different types of local freshwater turtles. I adopted "Tommie G" from a woman in New Jersey 2 years ago when he was supposedly 3 years old and about 9 lb's.He is now about 35 lb's,he is a sulcata and he is an eating machine, mostly native bermuda grasses and weeds with supplementation of some vegetables.He lives outdoors year round. I am really pleasantly surprised to find so many people with this passion for these wonderful creatures.I look forward to discussions with all of you...............Oh almost forgot,,anyone familiar with Hingeback's?.....there is one locally here that I have considered purchasing just to save him from his deplorable living conditions at the local pet store. Any response would be greatly appreciated.............

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shaun: Welcome to the forum. We do have a section here for Hingeback tortoises, and there are several keepers here in our little family. Good to see you here. Hope you get a lot out of your stay with us.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hi Swatz; welcome to the forum. What's your first name? Sulcatas are awesome. If you search for hingebacks on the forum here (the search feature is at the top of the page and has a magnifying glass), I know of at least two owners here. Also see http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-40.html

Just a note-If you buy from the pet store they will just get another one. If you truly want the tort that is fine, but every time I've known someone to do this they just replace the tort with another (usually the same species). I agree most pet stores have horrible conditions, and it's sad to see them there day after day.

Best wishes!

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi Shaun, welcome to the show...Robyn has made some great suggestions for you, my Sulcata loves hibiscus and the day lilies and most of the others she mentioned. His name is Bob and he was 85 pounds last Christmas when we took him to sit on Santa's lap so I am figuring he is close to 100 pounds now and is 15 years old. You mentioned feeding vegetables to your tort...I don't mean to tell you what to do so soon, but he doesn't need veggies...grasses weeds leafs and some blossoms some hay but no veggies...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Helllloooooooo and welcome welcome welcome :D I can assure you that this is the best forum and you will learn so much here! Ask any questions and read through the forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.