Hello everyone!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Filters are a necessity & good ones aren't cheap. I suggest you wait and do your research before you get any animal. They live a long time. Are your parents going to have to take care of it for you at any time?

Get permission for one for your birthday, but wait until you are set up and able to take care of an animal before you bring one home.
Yes I have been doing a lot of research and I agree the equipment I need isn't gonna be cheap. And no, if I have a pet my parents are not gonna take care of it for me, so I'm fully responsible for whatever happens.

I am turning 18 in a month, I will try asking my Dad, because if he says no, it's still a no. But my Mum's pretty okay with it. Maybe it's cuz she has had like baby chicks and ducks and hamsters when she was younger and she knows it's like perfectly fine to have a pet.

My Dad however, well I would say he believes I have the responsibility to care for a pet, but I think its the thing that having a pet especially in the house that he doesn't really like. I guess cuz he thinks it's gonna be dirty and and smelly and stuff so I would need to convince him.

If I can, I will have a habitat set up first before I get a RES, with all the equipment ready and all that.

Oh. Also, since I live in Singapore, there's really no seasons its really always hot and humid all year round... do you think I still need a water heater? And as for the uvb, I read they only need 2-3 hours of sunlight a week, but I'm not too sure, so I would just like to clarify. Thanks so much!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A turtle is more than a pet. It's a lifelong commitment. I've had my oldest for more than 38 years. So when I ask about your parents' potential involvement, I wonder where you'll be in two or four years. Still living at home? Any chance to travel? Going away to university?

You probably don't need a heater for the water. They need a basking spot where they can warm up and dry off. Natural sunlight that is not passing through a window is best. 2-3 hours of sunlight a week seems unlikely to produce a healthy animal.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
A turtle is more than a pet. It's a lifelong commitment. I've had my oldest for more than 38 years. So when I ask about your parents' potential involvement, I wonder where you'll be in two or four years. Still living at home? Any chance to travel? Going away to university?

You probably don't need a heater for the water. They need a basking spot where they can warm up and dry off. Natural sunlight that is not passing through a window is best. 2-3 hours of sunlight a week seems unlikely to produce a healthy animal.
So maybe I should get after I graduate from university? I mean I understand where you're coming from and its really great to see that there are a lot out there who still care about the turtles :) I will take your advice and see how it goes after I graduate. But in the meantime I will continue to do more reasearch. Thanks a lot everyone! I really appreciate all of your help :D

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Sounds like you've decided on the RES. Maybe since they are easily available in the pet stores and don't required a permit.

I kept several what we called red eared sliders when your age. And they required a pretty elaborate aquarium set up. They are messy to say the least ! Keeping their water clean - and the tank from stinking - was a project ! And ... As they grew , I hand to get bigger and bigger tanks. Expensive. I ended with a 100 gal and eventually let them go in a farm pond.

Box turtles , on the other hand , are clean ( no smell) and while they need a unique environment , it can be made much cheaper. They are long lived , don't get huge, and can stay with you your whole life.

If you decide to go with the boxy....

I would suggest you get the permit paperwork yourself. Fill it all out. Find out all you can and make out a detailed Carey sheet. Find out where you can get one , how much it is, what you will feed it. Show your Dad how serious you are - and responsible.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Sounds like you've decided on the RES. Maybe since they are easily available in the pet stores and don't required a permit.

I kept several what we called red eared sliders when your age. And they required a pretty elaborate aquarium set up. They are messy to say the least ! Keeping their water clean - and the tank from stinking - was a project ! And ... As they grew , I hand to get bigger and bigger tanks. Expensive. I ended with a 100 gal and eventually let them go in a farm pond.

Box turtles , on the other hand , are clean ( no smell) and while they need a unique environment , it can be made much cheaper. They are long lived , don't get huge, and can stay with you your whole life.

If you decide to go with the boxy....

I would suggest you get the permit paperwork yourself. Fill it all out. Find out all you can and make out a detailed Carey sheet. Find out where you can get one , how much it is, what you will feed it. Show your Dad how serious you are - and responsible.
Thanks Alaskamike, I actually only have the RES and the MBT to choose from, which the RES is super common in aquarium shops in my country and I don't even know anyone who's kept a MBT. The rest are all banned.

I wanted to get an MBT first, but realised I had to get a permit. My Mum didn't really like that, when I talked to her the other day. And she said to get a pet that doesn't require any special permits. So well I guess the MBT is out. :(

Since my only choice now is the RES, and this is probably the only turtle people in my country keep, I am thinking of waiting till I'm 21 (legal age here) and/or done with uni and then getting the permit myself.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome......

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There's a lot to be said for waiting until you've embarked on your adult life, after uni or age 21.

I have a Malaysian box turtle, and he's perhaps more personable than a RES. I use a filter that's rated for two or three times the amount of water in his "pond."

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
There's a lot to be said for waiting until you've embarked on your adult life, after uni or age 21.

I have a Malaysian box turtle, and he's perhaps more personable than a RES. I use a filter that's rated for two or three times the amount of water in his "pond."
Thanks for sharing, what do you mean by 'more personable'?

Also I just checked and it is quite hard to find the MBT in my country. Because it has only been made legal these past few years. And there's a strict criteria for importers and pet shops and the owner to follow while getting the MBT. I guess they all don't want to go through the trouble.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum, you'll love it here believe me! I agree with Grandpa Turtle144....money plays a very important role here (and anywhere for that matter). Good luck whatever tort you decide to get. You'll get the help you need from the experienced members here, I can assure you. (Wishes for a happy birthday)!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, you'll love it here believe me! I agree with Grandpa Turtle144....money plays a very important role here (and anywhere for that matter). Good luck whatever tort you decide to get. You'll get the help you need from the experienced members here, I can assure you. (Wishes for a happy birthday)!
Thanks! :)