Hello everyone!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new here and do not own any tortoises. I would really like to have one as a pet. I live in Singapore, which is very hot, and I wonder if I can keep them? I have been doing research but having so many people saying different things I am quite confused. Can anyone please tell me which tortoises I can keep here in my country and how to care for them (uv and heat lamps etc) Thank you so much!

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Hello everyone I'm new here. I'm from Singapore and I'm turning 18 soon, so I wanted to ask for a tortoise for my birthday ;D but before that I did a lot of reasearch, but they seem contradictory, so here I am! I hope that this forum will widen my knowledge on caring for them. Thanks everyone in advance for their kind and sincere help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have many members who also live in Singapore. Are you planning for your tortoise to live outside?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ,USA . You can raise roses in a Alaska if you got the money . So do your reading in here see witch torts you like . And witch will fit in your budget . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Just looked it up and unfortunately I can only keep a Malayan Box which will need a permit, others are banned except the RES. And hmm I do have some space outdoor, I have a small garden, so maybe I can work on the habitat there. Thanks so much guys! :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just looked it up and unfortunately I can only keep a Malayan Box which will need a permit, others are banned except the RES. And hmm I do have some space outdoor, I have a small garden, so maybe I can work on the habitat there. Thanks so much guys! :)
I don't know much about RES or Malaya box turtles. I do own a three toed box turtle, she does not spend much time in the water and I think RES spend almost all their time in the water. My box turtle has a lot of personality. I'm sure more experienced people will come along soon and give you some information. Maybe start a new thread on those species specifically and get some more detailed information from people who have them.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I don't know much about RES or Malaya box turtles. I do own a three toed box turtle, she does not spend much time in the water and I think RES spend almost all their time in the water. My box turtle has a lot of personality. I'm sure more experienced people will come along soon and give you some information. Maybe start a new thread on those species specifically and get some more detailed information from people who have them.
Thanks leigti, but it's quite sad that I can only own a MBT (which needs permit) and RES which is the most common in my local aquarium shops. But thanks for sharing! :)

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I'm also actually quite skeptical about which RES I should buy from which aquarium shop locally because most of them don't take care of the RES properly. Many times there's over crowding. But sometimes I've seen some nice displays, although the water level is maybe only less than 5 inches? Is that too shallow for them to dive?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think the RES get pretty big. You don't like the box turtle? They would be closer to a tortoise.I don't know what it takes to get a permit there but overhear it seems like getting a permit is pretty easy.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
I think the RES get pretty big. You don't like the box turtle? They would be closer to a tortoise.I don't know what it takes to get a permit there but overhear it seems like getting a permit is pretty easy.
I could go and get the permit but my parents wouldn't want to go through the process of getting a permit, no matter how easy it may be :/

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I don't mean this to sound really snotty but there are a lot harder things about owning a tortoise her turtle and getting a permit.if you are going to have to depend on their cooperation for this then you may have to rethink it. Sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds here.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Filters are a necessity & good ones aren't cheap. I suggest you wait and do your research before you get any animal. They live a long time. Are your parents going to have to take care of it for you at any time?

Get permission for one for your birthday, but wait until you are set up and able to take care of an animal before you bring one home.

ETTB1314

5 Year Member
Well, I don't mean this to sound really snotty but there are a lot harder things about owning a tortoise her turtle and getting a permit.if you are going to have to depend on their cooperation for this then you may have to rethink it. Sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds here.
Yeah well cuz I still live under their roof I still gotta get their permission for almost everything. My Mum is okay with it but its my Dad that will take some time to convince him to let me keep one. (Btw you are not sounding snotty or anything, I really appreciate your help)