Hello everyone, I have a question about my 2 sulcata tortoises

wolly1284

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, Louisiana
I have 2 sulcata tortoises, the first is steve he is just about 3 years old and my other tortoise nick is 2 years and 5 months old. I purchased both of them as babies from a exotic pet shop. First I got steve, and about 5 months later I purchased nick. My question is nick is alot younger than steve but is almost twice his size. While steve dosent seem like he's getting any bigger. Both of them are pretty active and have quite large appetites. What should I do ?

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Growth rates for each tortoise are all different. As long as Steve is steadily gaining weight I don't think you have anything to worry about. If Steve is not gaining any weight at all or losing weight then you might have a problem.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Be prepared to eventually separate them some day. Even though they've been raised with each other, one may eventually bully/stress the other. They do definitely growing at different rates though. My sulcata is 3 and he's 25 pounds, 15 inches long. So he's big!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The bullying and stressed already mentioned may already be happening and that may be why the one isnt growing. Sulcatas and actually most tortoises do not so good in pairs and really don't want a friend, as they see it as an enemy more then a bud. I would seperate them if they aren't and see if he starts growing.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would also separate them if they are not. Monitor his weight. As already stated steady gain at his own rate is what you want.