Hello everyone I am very new to this as I have I

mrs Robinson

Hi folks I need some help I have inherited a Herman tortoise and am clueless as to how to look after him /her I am scared to death of doing something wrong and hurting it especially as I no nothing about hibernation or anything else so any advice would be welcome xx

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I don't keep Hermans, but a good place to start is in the species specific section.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forums; you've come to the right place!

Here is an introductory care sheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rospective-or-beginner-tortoise-owners.22635/

Take a look at the "Beginner's Mistakes" thread here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Also the Hermann's care sheet mentioned by Jodie: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

This is a lot of information to digest; don't worry, you don't have to figure everything out at once.

Housing is the first concern. Is your tortoise currently inside or outside? How is it housed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What size is your new Hermanns?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You don't have to hibernate it. If you want to take this first year to learn all you need to know, learn about him/her, making sure all is good and there is no problems with him or her then that's okay and unless you know everything about his past health, it's best to not hibernate the first year of ownership.

mrs Robinson

He is housed in a hutch at the minute in a insulated shed (it's my crafting shed) so not a old grotty one he seems very well no idea of any history but does seem to have stopped eating as much xx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello @mrs Robinson

You need to read the links in the post above as they tell you everything about caring for your tortoise.

A big tortoise like that is going to require a large enclosure whether indoors or out. A hutch is far too small.

What are you using for heat and light? Your tortoise must be able to bask at 35C/95F directly under a basking lamp in order to digest food and be active. Your tortoise needs UVB light for a healthy shell and bones. If kept indoors, you need a special lamp for it.

Temperature knowledge is extremely important to keep a tortoise healthy. They're cold blooded, so rely on external heat to do everything. If temperatures are wrong then a tortoise will quickly become sick.

I'll post a longer 'standard' post explaining about heat, light and measurements next.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Heating, lighting and measuring temperature and humidity

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now I have that song stuck in my head…

"Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson…" "Doo ta do ta doo doo doo ta da doo…"

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Luckily s/he isn't a baby. Baby's require a lot more needs then adults. With a little help you should have a happy tortoise