Hello everyone from Liverpool England

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
If you have the basic set up right it shouldn't cost too much, your Viv will be fine if big enough.
If you post some pics of your viv we can see if there's anything you need to change.

gg888

England
When I first started looking at this site, I was pretty overwhelmed with all the information (completely distraught that the breeder I got Bertie from hadn't told me how complicated torts are)! But if you just take it once step at a time, it really helps. I didn't even have a hide for my sulcata at the beginning! But as I started making small changes I've seen a HUGE improvement in my torts. It's worth every bit of effort to see them happy :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When I first started looking at this site, I was pretty overwhelmed with all the information (completely distraught that the breeder I got Bertie from hadn't told me how complicated torts are)! But if you just take it once step at a time, it really helps. I didn't even have a hide for my sulcata at the beginning! But as I started making small changes I've seen a HUGE improvement in my torts. It's worth every bit of effort to see them happy :)
I agree, I had no idea what to do with Lola, and knew zilch about torts. This is the best place to learn though!

gg888

England
I agree, I had no idea what to do with Lola, and knew zilch about torts. This is the best place to learn though!
I know. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I don't know what is do without this place! I've got nine pets, and out of all of them, Bertie and Barnie's needs are so different. It takes a lot of getting used to.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I don't know what is do without this place! I've got nine pets, and out of all of them, Bertie and Barnie's needs are so different. It takes a lot of getting used to.
Nor me!
I only have Lola and it has been life changing for me as I work full time and don't have family close enough to help look after him but I just have to be super organised and so far so good!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi I have a 13 month old Horsefield and he's been fit @ well since yesterday.....I keep him In a vivarium.....I know they are not the best enclosures for tortoises but it's wot I got him in from pet shop,I plan to to buy an open tortoise table in the near future....I have him basking at present under a 60w bulb and a uva/uvb bulb.....& his substrate is a calcium soil and have Timothy Hay in his hides...I guess I need a stronger basking bulb summit like a 75w as the cold weather is creeping in and he's hardly eating as much due to being cold??.......I bath him quite regular like every 2 to 3 days and I feed him a variety of lettuces....romaine,chicory,lettuce,courgette,cucumber with a pinch of reptile supplement every other day....
Could any1 please advice me on any other general advice & care as I still class myself a novice. Thanks Anthony

View attachment 153292
Hey up Ant. Can you show us your set up please. You said a 60w and uvb. What is you uvb source. Do you have any way of checking the temperature and humidity?
What size is the enclosure?

Last edited:

Puyol580

I think you're best having a shallow water dish in his enclosure. It doesn't matter if he urinates in there, just change it two or three times a day to keep it fresh :) I put Bertie's water dish underneath his lamp (not directly, just to the side) and he sits in it all day and basks - he loves it! The orchid bark is great. You can get it from pets at home (two bags for £14 at the minute) or you can buy it in bulk - look on eBay. As for his eating, I think of torts like humans. If you put a cheeseburger and a big pile of salad in front of them, most people would choose the burger. If he's subbing every thing else, then leave out the lettuce. Eventually he'll get hungry and will eat what he's given (perhaps more weed and romain and stuff). If he's pooinfg in his baths then I shouldn't worry - Bertie isn't much of a pooer, he never has been. My sulcata on the other hand poops for England! Also, if you're worried about it getting too cool at night, try covering his enclosure with something to keep heat in. That works for Bertie fine, but we keep the room quite warm anyway. If not, try a ceramic heat emitter (again look on eBay) as they give off heat and no light, so their sleeping pattern isn't disturbed.
R thanks ever so much for your advice and support it really means a lot.....& so helpful.......I'll take everything on board....I just stress so much about my little fella that's all coz I don't think am giving him the correct care.:-( Am deffo going to put his water dish at side of his basking light and see what the outcome is?......I've already ordered a bag of orchard bark & really do need to look into getting a ceramic heater for him coz of this really cold weather creeping in......Am using a 60watt now might eve think of increasing it to 80watt?.......Regarding the ceramic heater bulb He's in a vivirium not a enclosure and I wouldn't know how to connect it all up etc...where it would go?....coz I got a a bracket attached to roof of the tank for his basking bulb.....unless I disconnect that and just keep swapping them over at night??........

Puyol580

Hey up Ant. Can you show us your set up please. You said a 60w and uvb. What is you uvb source. Do you have any way of checking the temperature and humidity?
Pets at Home sell Orchid bark - they were doing 2 bags for £14 last time I bought mine
R thanks will get some from there while it's on offer but I already bought some from eBay....Think I deffo need a substrate which is a bit warmer for him to burrow and to help maintain the warmth in his tank.

Puyol580

R thanks will get some from there while it's on offer but I already bought some from eBay....Think I deffo need a substrate which is a bit warmer for him to burrow and to help maintain the warmth in his tank.
I'm so sorry you feel that you have to find a new home but you are doing the right thing if you really feel you can't care for him.
I will tag @Anyfoot (Craig) who is in Sheffield who may be able to help you out.
I am too far away and I work all day too so can't take on any more - I wasn't planning on having any until Lola was found and we couldn't find her owners so I was in the deep end too. It can be very overwhelming.
Meanwhile don't panic - just make sure your tort is warm to stop him trying to hibernate and has a decent diet and is hydrated, try to follow the caresheet as best you can for the time being and lets see if Craig can help.
Thanks Lyn for your support. Yes please if you would contact Craig for me that would be fab:) and let us know how ya get onif ya get any response?......

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks Lyn for your support. Yes please if you would contact Craig for me that would be fab:) and let us know how ya get onif ya get any response?......
Hi. I'm Craig. Can't help you with this species though. But keeping costs down, maybe. If you read some of @Tom threads on Russians it will help you vastly. These do seem to be one of the easier species to care for. My bezzy mate has had one for yrs. Right fiesty thing it is.
How big is the viv? What type of uvb are you using? Do you have a thermostat at all?

Puyol580

Hi,how's you?;-)
Yeah I'll take a good photograph as soon as I get home from work & send u it asap ok @ cud u tell me wot ya think please??......Its just I work really long hours doing support work as well as sleeps @ wakes and it's not fair on him;-( I feel really bad.
Yes I have a temp thermometer stuck to the vivirium aligned with the basking bulb. I think the vivirium is about 4ft in length and 3ft wide......I have a uvb strip bulb on top of roof for him and my temp by basking area is normally about 30-35 but at night it drops to about 20 or sometimes under during night time....:-( I wouldn't know wot temp it gets on other side of tank??......

gg888

England
R thanks ever so much for your advice and support it really means a lot.....& so helpful.......I'll take everything on board....I just stress so much about my little fella that's all coz I don't think am giving him the correct care.:-( Am deffo going to put his water dish at side of his basking light and see what the outcome is?......I've already ordered a bag of orchard bark & really do need to look into getting a ceramic heater for him coz of this really cold weather creeping in......Am using a 60watt now might eve think of increasing it to 80watt?.......Regarding the ceramic heater bulb He's in a vivirium not a enclosure and I wouldn't know how to connect it all up etc...where it would go?....coz I got a a bracket attached to roof of the tank for his basking bulb.....unless I disconnect that and just keep swapping them over at night??........
I work long hours too, so I know how difficult it can be! I have an 80 watt bulb for Bertie. It's by a make called Arcadia, and it provides heat + UV. I change it every 6 months, as it stopes emitting UV after that amount of time. I got this from pets at home too. The water dish idea seems to work for Bertie and my sulcata, they enjoy basking in it. I got this idea from Twycross zoo. Their MASSIVE tortoises were laying in their pools in the sun and they seemed pretty happy :). If it were me, I would just swap them over (I'm not too good with DIY and stuff like that). But other people may have better ideas?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I work long hours too, so I know how difficult it can be! I have an 80 watt bulb for Bertie. It's by a make called Arcadia, and it provides heat + UV. I change it every 6 months, as it stopes emitting UV after that amount of time. I got this from pets at home too. The water dish idea seems to work for Bertie and my sulcata, they enjoy basking in it. I got this idea from Twycross zoo. Their MASSIVE tortoises were laying in their pools in the sun and they seemed pretty happy :). If it were me, I would just swap them over (I'm not too good with DIY and stuff like that). But other people may have better ideas?
Woah woah woah woah woah. Halt the thread a minute. Twycross zoo have torts? Since when. We've not been for about 2 yrs.
What species do they have? :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Anthony, can you hang the CHE from the bracket as well, or add another bracket?
It will be safer than swapping the bulb and che over all the time as if the bulb breaks you will have glass everywhere and need to change the lot.
Have a look at the enclosures thread to see what other people do with vivs.

upload_2015-11-9_20-9-59.pngThis is the CHE screws into a ceramic bulb holder - same as the bulb

upload_2015-11-9_20-11-39.pngThis is similar to my thermostat from the Range but mine is Komodo brand
it has 3 leads
The mains lead plugs into the wall socket
The middle lead has a socket that you plug the bulb holder with the CHE in
The end of the sensor/temp probe lead is placed near the hide but out of reach of tort in case he chews, this will detect the temp and switch the CHE on and off as needed.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-9_20-9-34.png
    upload_2015-11-9_20-9-34.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2015-11-9_20-11-9.png
    upload_2015-11-9_20-11-9.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I work full time too I leave before 8 in the morning and don't get home until about 4.30 - 5 pm
I just have to be more organised than I used to be.
My routine for Lola is that every night I prepare his food in a big food storage box and pop it in the fridge overnight.
Food dishes are washed and ready so that in the morning all I have to do is add the food, and leave in different places around his room.
His CHE is switched off and the MVB on,( if its particularly cold in his room I may leave both on as it is quite a big space - although he also has a radiator on in there.)
He is usually still in his hide when I leave but I can hear him starting to move.
When I get home Lola has a warm soak everyday so I can make sure he's OK and hydrated because I don't see him drink and while he is in that I clean up any mess in his room, change his water etc.
Lola has a bit more food and then takes himself off to his hide.
When I know he is unlikely to surface again I turn the MVB off and the CHE on.
Some people use timers to switch things on and off at certain times.

I hated leaving him when I first got him - I worried constantly but finally accepted that they don't mind being alone, as long as they have all their needs met and no hazards which could cause flipping etc. As with any pet you always have to be mindful that torts need attention.

gg888

England
Woah woah woah woah woah. Halt the thread a minute. Twycross zoo have torts? Since when. We've not been for about 2 yrs.
What species do they have? :D
I'm not sure, we went about a year ago. We did have pictures but my boyfriend deleted them, annoyingly! Last time we went they had three Aldabra tortoises and they were pretty damn big. Absolutely gorgeous though!

Puyol580

Hi. I'm Craig. Can't help you with this species though. But keeping costs down, maybe. If you read some of @Tom threads on Russians it will help you vastly. These do seem to be one of the easier species to care for. My bezzy mate has had one for yrs. Right fiesty thing it is.
How big is the viv? What type of uvb are you using? Do you have a thermostat at all?
Hi Craig r no worries but much appreciated your gettin in contact with me......my viv is about 4ft in length and 3ft wide.....yes I h
Am in work now until Thurs so soon as I arrive home I will take photo of viv etc @ send ya them ok;-) cheers.:) Thanks for your support.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Craig r no worries but much appreciated your gettin in contact with me......my viv is about 4ft in length and 3ft wide.....yes I h

Am in work now until Thurs so soon as I arrive home I will take photo of viv etc @ send ya them ok;-) cheers.:) Thanks for your support.
Hi again.

How often are you away at work, and for how long a periods are you away?