Heating

Kylei

Hi guys I just got my very first sulcata tortoise today and he's still very young, and I'm already kind of stressed. I've read several forms talking about how the heat of the enclosure was super important and I have a normal light, and I also have one that just lets off heat. The problem is though, while my siblings and I are at school, my parents work and my mom says that I can't keep the heat on while everyone is gone because she is scared that it could fall and set the house on fire. But I'm pretty positive that leaving him without a direct heat source for that long would not be good for my tort at all, and I've told her that it could possibly kill him, but she says that if I have to keep a heat lamp on I have to get rid of him. We also had an argument because I wanted to go and cut him some grass, but she says all he needs is the pellets we bought him, and lettuce. Which is false. I'm just really sad right now because I've already gotten attached to the little guy and his name is Tyrone. I guess my question is, am I even doing any of this right? And how do I convince my mom to relax about the heat lamp? I need all the help I can get. I really want to keep Tyrone, and I also want to care for him the best I can, and ensure that he is happy and healthy. Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Kylei. Welcome to the Forum, the right place to visit for answers to all your questions. Unfortunately, and sad to say, you should have done some research on the proper care and feeding of sulcatas before you purchased your sully. You definitely need to have 24/7 proper heat as well as proper food. I'm afraid that u and your tort are off to a rough start, and things will get worse until you get things straightened out. It's time for the "talk" with your mom regarding proper care. If there's no give on her part, you have a long row to hoe. Without proper heat or grass, your sully is in for bad times.

Sorry for the not so good info, good luck with the "talk." Hope this helps without being doom n gloom.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second above. If your mother approved the purchase of the tort then she needs to also learn that proper care is needed and without it its animal abuse/neglect which is cruel and against the law.
If you hang the lights and do not use the clamps, the lights should not fall. If you use the proper fixtures they should not cause a fire. The tort needs a wide variety of items to eat, not just lettuce and pellets. Read the care sheet in the sulcata section. With everything this tort needs to grow and live, I'm afraid you probably bit off more then your mother will allow. In this case you will need to rehome him and wait until your on your own and can make your own decisions.
Good luck and put the torts needs above your wants.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome Kylei! Good luck with your talk bud, your mom will appreciate you coming to her ;)