Heat Stroke Prevention in Desert Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I know there are already one or two threads discussing the AZ heat, but I wanted to draw attention to a great Facebook post by the veterinarian I use, Dr. Todd Driggers. He discusses heat stroke prevention in desert tortoises, but of course, this can be applied to other species. His idea for burrow construction is simple and I like the idea of using a frozen water bottle to maintain moisture in the burrow.

A good read for anyone. Good luck out there!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151673759987370&id=162345897369

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He makes some good points in regards to the difference between a normal back yard and "out in the wild".

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for sharing! Very informative.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Could I throw ice cubes into my burrows? As they melt it would be like the frozen water bottles dripping right?

This makes me so glad I moved my Russian hide.
I also added some more leopard burrows, covered them with dirt and planted tall grasses around them.

Keep cool all of you! Shelled and non ;)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Great article. I would love to see some pictures of these types of hides. It's about 90 degrees and humid here right now. At what temp are you guys worrying about heat strokes at?

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I like the frozen water bottle idea...but I can't picture it. Is it affixed to the top of the hide on the inside? Maybe the inside top corner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Do your tortoises fight over burrows, or do you just build one big one that they share?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Heat Stroke Prevention in Desert Tortoises

volcom6981 said:
Do your tortoises fight over burrows, or do you just build one big one that they share?

Who are you asking?

My 4 Russians share a large 3'x18" 3 chamber house.

I have 4 burrows set up in the leopard pen and soon my 3 leopards will all be housed there together.

Heather

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
volcom6981 said:

Who are you asking?

My 4 Russians share a large 3'x18" 3 chamber house.

I have 4 burrows set up in the leopard pen and soon my 3 leopards will all be housed there together.

Heather

I was asking anyone, thanks.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Before I left for work this morning I tucked 2 frozen water bottles into the burrow on the ground. Hubby just got home and checked temps. The ground outside the burrow is 101; inside it's 81. Our burrow has a dirt floor, concrete roof with another few inches of dirt covering it and-- on extra hot days like today -- another layer of plywood over top. Dunno if the 20-degree difference is due to the construction of the burrow or the bottles or a combo of the two, but I'm glad to report the torts are keeping cool. Good luck out there this weekend, everybody!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I divided up 2 trays of ice cubes in all my burrows today... I should go temp them..
I just checked the temps. The ground was 101F but inside the burrows I got a range from 77F-84F.

Heather

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Team Gomberg said:
I divided up 2 trays of ice cubes in all my burrows today... I should go temp them..
I just checked the temps. The ground was 101F but inside the burrows I got a range from 77F-84F.

Heather

Ice cubes is a good idea! Hadn't thought of that one. One of the water bottles was still about a third frozen when I took it out at 6, which is hard for me to believe. Torts were good, but moving slower than usual. Usually when I get home from work I take them out of their enclosure for a 20-minute yard romp before settling down for the night. They munch on weeds while I have a drink. Well tonight they wanted nothing of it, and started trying to dig their beds immediately in the yard, so back into the burrow they went, without the bottles. Wonder if the ground was still quite hot? Or they were just lethargic from the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.