heat lamp

babytortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
is there a specific brand of bulb recommended for basking spot / heat source? Are there general household bulbs I can purchase at home depot for this purpose or is it better to use one specifically for reptiles from a pet store?

M

Maggie Cummings

I use black light bulbs from Kmart for $3.49. for night. If you mean for during the day you'll need a 100 watt UVB bulb $49 at Amazon. I'm noty quite sure exactly what you mean...

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
:) Thanks Maggie. I meant a bulb for general heat & basking , not uvb. I plan to take my tort outside for sunshine everyday so I am not in a rush to purchase the uvb bulb (i'm in sunny san diego). I just wasnt sure if the bulbs sold specifically for reptiles were much different than regular household bulbs that are much cheaper. Also you mention that you use a blacklight for night. Is this used mostly to provide heat at night or is it for lighting purposes?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
A regular house bulb works just as well for heat. Unless you need a UVB one to provide what it does. But if all you need is heat, a regular 60 watt bulb works just as good as one of those expensive 50 watt ones they sell at pet shops when placed in a clamp lamp.
Won't work for night time. You'll need a night lamp or CHE.

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Is a CHE safe to use with plastic bins? Does it ever get so hot as to melt plastic? Would a heat pad be another alternative?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
CHEs get hot, usually 500° F+ so they would melt/burn most items if they were in direct contact. Used in the right type of fixture and mounted securely, the risk is minimal. Depending on your setup and what you want to accomplish, under tank heating may be a viable alternative.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'd recommend a Radiant Heat Panel. You can attach it to the ceiling of your enclosure...and maintain the desired temp with a thermostat! They give off all the heat your tort needs...without risk of burning!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For daytime heating and lighting for a tortoise that gets regular sunshine, regular incandescent hardware store bulbs work great. I use 65 watt flood bulbs and adjust the height of the enclosure to get the right temp under it.

For night heat, I prefer a CHE set on a thermostat to hold my ambient night temperature where I want it.