Heat lamp help

Zac dale

Hi, I just got an infrared heat lamp, my leopard is trying to eat the soil underneath it, can I use this piece of wood to put underneath it? If not, what is the best material to put underneath it? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490254240.758130.jpg

Thanks.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Hi, I just got an infrared heat lamp, my leopard is trying to eat the soil underneath it, can I use this piece of wood to put underneath it? If not, what is the best material to put underneath it?
Thanks.
Howdy Zac,
What do you mean by "infrared heat lamp"? Can you post a picture for us? Here are two,(2) pictures of what I use ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490256696.752307.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1490256819.432659.jpg, If it's a PowerSun UV Light try a piece of flat stone or rough tile. The idea is that that eating off of a flat stone or rough tile is the process helps to keep the beak worn down. If the light produces a red color on the substrate, that could be the problem.
Red lights make things look like food to tortoises, and that's no good. While using a flat rock or rough tile piece, be very aware of the temps. Theses item absorb and hold heat very well and can become much too hot for your little buddy.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And I'd advise not using a flat piece of wood. If he happens to peel a splinter of wood up and eat that it could be a problem. Heck, he could get poked in the eye even.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think the problem you have is that this infra red bulb gives off red light.

Torts aren't very clever. They know they love red food. Eating substrate and decor coloured red by these bulbs is common and it is why we don't recommend the use of coloured bulbs.

A ceramic heat emitter (CHE) with a thermostat is best for maintaining ambient heat. It lasts for years, unlike coloured bulbs, too.

For basking you need white light