1. Hello guest! Are you a Tortoise enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tortoise keepers to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tortoise and enclosure and have a great time with other Tortoise keepers. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email us using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page!

Head bobbing

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by sammi, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammi

sammi New Member

So I've heard that head bobbing can be a sign of being territorial, and Ernie will sometimes bob his head..but hes the only tort we have. Why would he feel the need to be territorial? Or is there another reason for his head bobbing?
  2. Rhyno47

Rhyno47 New Member

When he does this, are you in the process of asking him a question that is true?
  3. sammi

sammi New Member

Hahaha.. actually he does seem to do it when I'm watching him. But not asking him a question :p
  4. Rhyno47

Rhyno47 New Member

Dang I thought I nailed that one. But my russian male does it but only to the female in his enclosure. Never to me.
  5. Weloveourtortoise

Weloveourtortoise New Member

Charlie loves to bob his head at us when he, i believe, thinks we are going to mess with him or his habbitat. --- meaning when he is basking and does not want to be moved, we are cleaning or fixing something in his enclosure or moving his food around.
  6. GBtortoises

GBtortoises Active Member

I've seen my some of my male Russian tortoises occasionally stretch their necks out, drop their heads and bob their head when a new member is introduced to the group and when they are courting a female to breed. In my experience male Russian tortoises only show territorial tendencies when a female is present and even then it is usually only during breeding season and not at other times of the year. During breeding season my dominant male will attempt to chase other smaller males away. Those same males that at other times of the year he pays no attention to whatsoever.
    At the same time I have also seen dominant females head bob but never become physically aggressive as the males do. I believe that it's territorial.
  7. sammi

sammi New Member

I think this would probably be the best explanation for why Ernie did it, being as 1) He was basking when he bobbed his head and 2) I just rearranged his enclosure the day before, because I added a little "Habba Hut" for him =]

Thanks!

But as for females, the only female around is me. He's never been with another tort since he was brought home.
  8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer Staff Member

Although I think they look kinda' cute or funny, when they bob, I think in the tortoise world, head bobbing looks pretty intimidating. A male will bob his head in front of a female and she is supposed to just swoon and stand still so he can mount her. Or a dominant female will bob her head at another tortoise and this is supposed to just intimidate the poop right out of the other opponent.

I have no idea why your little guy thought he had to bob at you, but I think its rather cute!!
  9. sammi

sammi New Member

Oh its the cutest thing ever! I love when he does it =] I could watch him for hours! :p
  10. Stephanie Logan

Stephanie Logan New Member

I always thought it was just Taco's way of saying hello. Now my feelings are hurt, wondering why she thinks she must intimidate me. No poop so far, though.
  11. darthsmozers

darthsmozers New Member

Journey does it all the time. Figured it was just normal :cool:
  12. tortoiseman777

tortoiseman777 New Member

my male bobs his sometimes when i take him out or hes by the female ;) i think he just wants to breed
  13. Stephanie Logan

Stephanie Logan New Member

Uh-oh. If that's true, my relationship with Taco just got very complicated.
  14. sammi

sammi New Member

HAHAHAH!!! And who said torts didn't have feelings? ;)
  15. tortoiseman777

tortoiseman777 New Member

hahaha nice that made me laugh