Haven't been on a while.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hello,

Hope everyone is ok, sorry I haven't posted anything for a while been kind of busy so heres my leopard tortoise's. just wanted a recap as if am doing ok? these have just turn past 2 years.

Humidity is 91% most days never drops below 80%. they go out in the sun when it's shining in the UK.

Soaked every day for half hour in warm water.

Temperatures are in day 30c basking spot and to the cooler part 25 and two massive plant pots to hide in.

Food - Kale, hibiscus flowers dried, mazuri, ruby and red chard, rocket,frisee, radicchio,lambs lettuce, spring greens, pak choi, nettles dried, dandelion and zoo med dried grassland food. Calcium twice a week on the food.

The tortoises are definitely male and female been flashed to many times by the male and he's smaller than the female and different attitudes. Both of them eat very well.

These weigh currently male is 1.7kilos and the female is 2.5kilos.

Please if you have any more advice feel free to share as always want to improve.IMG_1443.JPGIMG_1444.JPG

Thank you in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking pretty good. The only advice I can give is you will need to separate them soon if they aren't already or get yourself another female. Once the male starts wanting to breed, he will buy your female too much and fluid cause her to get sick. If you don't want another female, but want to breed them, then you would only put them together for breeding and then separate them.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Looking pretty good. The only advice I can give is you will need to separate them soon if they aren't already or get yourself another female. Once the male starts wanting to breed, he will buy your female too much and fluid cause her to get sick. If you don't want another female, but want to breed them, then you would only put them together for breeding and then separate them.

Thank you for the advice, these are separated as I built two vivariums for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look good.

I'd want to see the basking area closer to 36, and ambient around 30.

I'd also try to add more weeds, leaves, and succulents to the diet and less grocery store food. If you must use grocery store food look for chicory, endive and escarole.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
They look good.

I'd want to see the basking area closer to 36, and ambient around 30.

I'd also try to add more weeds, leaves, and succulents to the diet and less grocery store food. If you must use grocery store food look for chicory, endive and escarole.
Hello Tom,

Thank you for the reply, what leaves do you mean sorry and succulents? in the uk market I only seem to find chicory. Do you recommend Mazuri? t-rex food? as a treat sprinkled on the food once a week?

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Hello Tom,

Thank you for the reply, what leaves do you mean sorry and succulents? in the uk market I only seem to find chicory. Do you recommend Mazuri? t-rex food? as a treat sprinkled on the food once a week?
And sorry I have a calcium stones throughout the enclosures so there can trim beaks when they can, can I feed dried hibiscus flowers as I can buy this in bulk and how often would you feed this?

Maitaimommy

Hibiscus flowers are a great staple! I have trouble finding them here in Maine though

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
I have brought the hibiscus flowers from eBay as I can bulk buy this and just add to the food. thank you for the replies from people.