Have any of your tortoises died?

Agent007

Mine yes. I used to have two of them, both of them are very close, I can tell( Their names are Ziggy and Chico) but after 3 weeks after Chico was born he/she got Cold. Since I was new to owing a pet tort I didn't know what to do. I gave him a warm bath and gave him some food( Not realizing there's a cold medicine for torts) The next morning Chico died. Sadly( I didn't know how this happened) Ziggy, my first pet, Didn't ear for a whole 3 day and he stayed inside his she'll nearly all day long but once He/she saw me bury Chico(His/HER BFF) Ziggy came out of his shell the ate. Amazing huh?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
It's not something that's happened to me and God forbid it ever will - I hope my tort has a long happy healthy life and outlives me.
So I go over and above the call of duty to try to make sure that he is as well looked after as possible and try to keep him out of harm's way. I do that by following all the advice I am given or find on the forum and try to learn from other peoples mistakes.
There are lots of people who have lost torts here though illness maybe viral or because of incorrect care - too cold/hot etc, coiled bulbs; some through injuries from dogs cats or wild animals or even other torts. Torts don't like company they are solitary, territorial animals and a dominant one will harass another and make it ill. Many people think their torts need friends but they find being in confined spaces with another very stressful.
There are also some amazing stories here about sick torts that have been on the brink of death - even appeared to die and almost been buried, but miraculously revived and with the love and dedication and deep pockets of their keepers have made amazing recoveries.(Do a search for Bertha).
Hopefully with the help of the members here you will be able to avoid the same happening again and give your tort a long happy life!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine yes. I used to have two of them, both of them are very close, I can tell( Their names are Ziggy and Chico) but after 3 weeks after Chico was born he/she got Cold. Since I was new to owing a pet tort I didn't know what to do. I gave him a warm bath and gave him some food( Not realizing there's a cold medicine for torts) The next morning Chico died. Sadly( I didn't know how this happened) Ziggy, my first pet, Didn't ear for a whole 3 day and he stayed inside his she'll nearly all day long but once He/she saw me bury Chico(His/HER BFF) Ziggy came out of his shell the ate. Amazing huh?

I'm very sorry to hear that your little tortoise died. Hopefully you can learn a lot more about caring for tortoises and it won't happen to the other one. What kind of tortoise is Ziggy?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Sadly many years ago my thermostat went out and the heat in my house was set to high and I had one over heat while I was gone for the day. Such a sad day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Being in the turtle and tortoise rescue business, I get in quite a few sick and injured animals. Sadly, not all of them make it.

I had one of my own die a few years ago. I was in the hospital with kidney stones and when I came home one of my large Manouria tortoises was on her back, dead.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Once and only once. A baby flipped over on its back and I didn't help it in time.
Now I obsess about them.
Bertha, mentioned above, is one of my tortoises.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank GOD, it hasn't happened to me. Am doing ALL I can to take care of OLI :<3:and keep him happy, although it took me a lot of time due to the fact that I'd never had a pet before, never dealt with animals.

Sorry to hear that your tort died.:(

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank GOD, it hasn't happened to me. Am doing ALL I can to take care of OLI :<3:and keep him happy, although it took me a lot of time due to the fact that I'd never had a pet before, never dealt with animals.

Sorry to hear that your tort died.:(

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry about that Jodie. May I ask how? If it hurts you, you needn't answer.
I had ordered them online. Theory is they were dry starts and had damaged organs. One only made it a few months. The other lived almost a year, but never grew. He was super sweet. He died Christmas morning. It was devastating.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I had ordered them online. Theory is they were dry starts and had damaged organs. One only made it a few months. The other lived almost a year, but never grew. He was super sweet. He died Christmas morning. It was devastating.
Oh, that really is sad. Sorry to hear such a:( story.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
They sell it in my pet store it is like a fluid which you put one drop to your torts nose it works magic for me.
What's it called?
I would like to add that to my emergency tort kit.