Hatchlings

jedig

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have 3 hatchling hermanns tortoises (from 6-9 mo old). They are all kept together and from what I can see I don't see fighting, bullying, etc. Before I got them I had no idea you couldn't keep tortoises in pairs. I read all the time on here on how they cannot be kept in pairs and that groups can sometimes work. Besides fighting, biting and constantly wanting to mate (obviously when they are older), what are other signs that the torts need to be separated? I'm not worried about this now because they are very young but just in the future I'd like to know if I ever had to separate them. I know that if they all turn out to be males I would surely have to separate them or if there are more males than females. Hopefully they will all turn out to be females and even then I know they can be territorial too. So I'm just wondering if there are any other signs that I should look out for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really can't see it unless it's overt, and it's not always overt. After a time of being told 'mentally' to get out of the territory by the top dog the submissive tortoise will try to stay out of the way, slows down his eating, maybe stays hidden a lot more often, grows at a slower rate.

When they're very young babies, it sometimes helps to have more than one to give them competition for the food. . . helps to make sure they're all eating. But eventually one of them will start to assert him/herself and they have to be separated - male or female, doesn't matter.

jedig

Florida
You really can't see it unless it's overt, and it's not always overt. After a time of being told 'mentally' to get out of the territory by the top dog the submissive tortoise will try to stay out of the way, slows down his eating, maybe stays hidden a lot more often, grows at a slower rate.

When they're very young babies, it sometimes helps to have more than one to give them competition for the food. . . helps to make sure they're all eating. But eventually one of them will start to assert him/herself and they have to be separated - male or female, doesn't matter.

So far I don't see them doing any of that. They all eat like savages haha. One is small but he's younger and been on the small side compared to the others he hatched with. The second oldest of the three is only a week older than the smallest one and he has outgrown the older one (difference in age is 2 or 3 months) so I don't know. I have provided multiple hiding places for them just in case too. I just want to catch it ahead of time so that if it does happen I can separate them right away. This may be a stupid question but do you think the larger the area and more hiding spaces there are, the less likely they would be to bully or does that not matter?

surfergirl

With my 3 russian gals keeping plenty of resources available, separate feeding spots, basking spots, and hides is working for me. Also give them more square foot per tortoise and provide tons of sight lines like different rooms to their enclosure, nooks, a corner break etc. so they cannot see each other 24/7. It works well so far because they have their own eating areas, three basking areas and three hides that are identical in humidity and warmth but separated by sight lines so they cannot see each other while eating, etc. I think in close qtrs they are dominate because it is a survival tactic. If you notice how they sit over their food, I think this is to allow them to cover it, protect it and keep birds or other animals from getting it before they can finish eating it. They back off of it as they eat it. Too funny. But again i think in my situation it is having plenty of resources like separate bowls they just dominate their bowl. They like having their basking spot, etc. Again these are all females. They are all growing at the same rate as well.
I think when mixing sexes the whole game changes. I would think the space required and hide aways for the females to avoid the constant male attention would have to be plentiful to replicate the wild environment resulting in less interaction on a day to day basis to avoid injury.

jedig

Florida
With my 3 russian gals keeping plenty of resources available, separate feeding spots, basking spots, and hides is working for me. Also give them more square foot per tortoise and provide tons of sight lines like different rooms to their enclosure, nooks, a corner break etc. so they cannot see each other 24/7. It works well so far because they have their own eating areas, three basking areas and three hides that are identical in humidity and warmth but separated by sight lines so they cannot see each other while eating, etc. I think in close qtrs they are dominate because it is a survival tactic. If you notice how they sit over their food, I think this is to allow them to cover it, protect it and keep birds or other animals from getting it before they can finish eating it. They back off of it as they eat it. Too funny. But again i think in my situation it is having plenty of resources like separate bowls they just dominate their bowl. They like having their basking spot, etc. Again these are all females. They are all growing at the same rate as well.
I think when mixing sexes the whole game changes. I would think the space required and hide aways for the females to avoid the constant male attention would have to be plentiful to replicate the wild environment resulting in less interaction on a day to day basis to avoid injury.

Good to know. I thought bigger space with more hiding spots, food dishes, etc would make it better on them too. I have heard that testudo species are territorial especially Russians. I'm glad it's working out for you, makes me feel a little better. But I will be cautious if I ever notice anything and do what I have to do if things don't work out.