Hatchling sulcata not doing well. help

ufc5mike

I have a small sulcata in a tank that one side is 80. The middle is 95 and the other side is 75. LG the tortoise was very happy and very busy. Three days ago he started slowing down now not eating and doesn't move much. I read your blog on raising a hatchling and we are doing things right. The best we can tell. The vet is closed Monday humi type on the 80 degree side is 85. Please help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
75 is too cool. What is your overnight low and how are you achieving that?

What heating, lighting and UV equipment are you using?

Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started? Old dry way, or new wet way?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mike, and welcome to the Forum!

I suspect that maybe you have one of those spiral-shaped bulbs?????? If so, that is probably the culprit. They burn baby tortoises' eyes, similar to snow blindness. Very painful, and when in pain they won't eat.

Another main cause of not eating is that he's not warm enough.

ufc5mike

Ahhhh so much conflicting information. Zoo med ceramic heat admitter. Zoo med curly buld. Basking light .hygrotherm controller

Attachments

• 14160767601471107688694.jpg
    14160767601471107688694.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 1416076795531-620781988.jpg
    1416076795531-620781988.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ufc5mike

Thanks I really appreciate your help. I have the turned per your advice. 75 degrees in the sun outside would outside time help?

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Sorry I can't help re the baby, but I do know the coil bulbs arent good...I had a coil bulb for my 5 yo Hermanns. On the first day she loved it but after that she refused to come out from cover when it was on. I changed the bulb to a Mercury vapour one thanks to the advice I got here and now she basks under it all day long. Hope everything works out for your little one!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks I really appreciate your help. I have the turned per your advice. 75 degrees in the sun outside would outside time help?

Outside time on warm sunny days is great. I like to limit it to one or two hours for babies, and make sure that there is always plenty of shade available. We all say to put them out in the sun, but what we really mean is to put them outside and allow access to sunshine, but still provide shade so they don't over heat. I like to soak them on the way back in to make sure they are not dehydrated after outside time in my hot dry climate.

ufc5mike

We might give it a go. We do soak every evening for 15 minutes in 90 degree water.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
We might give it a go. We do soak every evening for 15 minutes in 90 degree water.
90 degrees! You don't want to toast the poor guy! Try lukewarm (zerp temp, neither hot nor cold) to mildly warm.
Every day is good. Does he poop, in the soak?

Zeko

5 Year Member
I read on this forum to soak 85- 95

Yes. Each tortoise likes different temps. If they sprawl out and enjoy it, record that temp and try to recreate it.

My Redfoot prefers 85-90*. My Sulcata prefers 95-100*.

No lower than 80* and you will be fine. If it is too warm, they will go absolutely crazy and try to get out of the soaking dish.

Keep it up!,
Brad

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmm, okay, my russian would go crazy if I soaked him that hot! He sprawls out in cooler water.

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hmm, okay, my russian would go crazy if I soaked him that hot! He sprawls out in cooler water.

To each their own, haha. Just look for the "sprawl" and you know you are doing it right ;)

On another note, you do want the water to be at least warm enough that they will do a bower movement. I'm not sure what temp "cool water" is, but they need at least 80* or you could cause them to get an RI and such.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Ahhhh so much conflicting information. Zoo med ceramic heat admitter. Zoo med curly buld. Basking light .hygrotherm controller
Very true..one will always find conflicting info, which only confuses a tort owner rather than help him/her, regret to say ths.