Hatchling sleepy and not eating

dezaxatul

Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania
Hello,

I have a 4month western hermanni and I am very worried about his well being.

I have him since he was 1 month old. He never was too active (he used to roam for 2-3h per day then bask/sleep) but he had the appetite of a horse.

Since last week or so he lost his appetite almost completely and is sleeping all day and all night long (unless i disturb him, after which he soon goes back to sleep). Nothing changed regarding his habitat.

I soak him daily in warm water for 15-30min.
His temps are 35C under basking spot and 27C in the cold spot. At night, temps dont go below 23C.
Humidity is around 60%
Substrate is coco coir (the one that comes in bricks)

He doest burrow any more (used to) and refuses to eat (he takes 1-2 bites then goes to sleep, as if he does not like the greens he used to love in the past). He used to eat (and poo) like a horse. I still find some poo from time to time (but way less because he doesn't eat) so I've excluded impaction..?

I've tried feeding him various lettuces, ruccola, endives and aloe vera. I'm out of ideas.. Should I give him something else?

I don't see anything wrong, macroscopically. His eyes are clear, no secretions and he reacts if I disturb him. His plastron is a little bit soft (but harder than it used to be, i guess it's normal at this age?)

I'm worried. Should I take him to a vet?
He didn't eat by himself for 5-6 days now.
If he does not eat for 3 days in a row I am kind of forcing him to take a bite or two by constantly disturbing him and putting him in front of fresh food. Should I stop doing this? Is it normal for him under these conditions to be so lethargic? It's as if he would like to hibernate and i'm not letting him. But how does he know it's freezing cold outside when his enclosure is summer-hot?

Please don't tell me to read the care sheet, I did, a dozen times and I follow the recommendations.
It's my first tortoise and I don't want to lose him. Please help.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is this one of the types of Hermanni that hibernates? it might be that his internal clock is telling him it's time to go to sleep. Be sure to keep the lights on about 14 hours a day.

dezaxatul

Bucharest, Romania
Thank you for your prompt answer!

Yes, they do hibernate theoretically.
And to be honest, it's freezing cold outside (where i live)
I'm using a sensor and a temp gun so the temps should be pretty accurate.
Lights are on from 7:00 to 21:00

Update: just checked him. lights went off and he burrowed under his hide.

Last edited: