1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hatchling Power!

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by Vishnu2, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vishnu2

Vishnu2 Member

What are the benefits of getting a hatchling vs a 4 or 2 year old tort? Russian or Greek.. Opinions?

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app
  2. Jlant85

Jlant85 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Older one are a lot more easier I care for. Specially when your new to the tortoise world. That's just my thought. I would go into details but I'm on my phone so ill post more about it a little later.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

The benefit would be getting to watch them grow up, knowing their exact age and knowing exactly how it was raised and fed.
  4. kanalomele

kanalomele Active Member 5 Year Member

With a Russian or Greek the adult/juvenile care is similar to a hatchling but not exactly the same. My hatchlings get a higher humidity in a glass indoor closed chamber and their food gets chopped. They are removed, soaked and sunbathed everyday. All of my adults live outside yearround and are encouraged to forage for themselves. So hatchlings are more delicate and exacting with a greater chance of failure.
  5. Greg T

Greg T Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

When I started, I went for yearlings because the hard work is basically done. Hatchlings require more attention and the first year is toughest. The daily soaks, feeding more often, cleaning the enclosure more often, etc. So getting an older one is easier, especially if these are a child's pet.

BUT, now that I have hatchlings, I can definitely see the other side too. Yes they require a lot of work, but darn they are cute and you get to watch them grow and develop personalities. You get to control their environment and food so you know they get raised properly.

It is a hard choice!! :D