Hatchling Mazuri food???

leobaby15

I've had my little Leo tort for about 10 days now and finally got this food to add to his diet. How do I feed it to him? How often? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431192143.069616.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
For a hatchling? I would soak one pellet in a little bit of water and then mush it all up with some chopped up greens. I like to offer it twice a week.

leobaby15

Yes for a hatchling...3-5 months old I think. I'll try that...thanks Tom!

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
They make a new LS version that is tiny and would be the right size for small tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They make a new LS version that is tiny and would be the right size for small tortoises.

Sorry. I don't agree. I think its too big for a small tortoise like a 3 month old leopard and it does not get mushy when soaked like the original does.

Further, most tortoises don't seem to care for it much. I had to mix my LS with regular Mazuri to get them to eat it.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I soak the LS in warm water for a minute or so while I'm prepping the rest of their food and then soak up any excess water with ZooMed pellets. They may be tougher to eat but my little guys will put a foot/hand? on one end and rip off a bite.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
However the regular stuff that you already have most Torts will eat with gusto. :) I feed mazuri with every meal. Just one piece on top of a veritable smorgasbord of greens...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For my RF the LS was a total waste of money.
It is very difficult to soften and mix up as Tom has described. And my torts would not eat it no matter how it was offered. (though I am aware that some species will eat it)
I've even whipped up the regular Mazuri into a powder in a food processor and dusted it on food sprayed with water and just the smell and taste has been enough to get them to try different food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 2 Sulcatas they are 5 and weigh in at 65 and 75lbs. They started eating it right off, they also started eating hay at about 10lbs.

Well that makes complete sense. Large tortoises can eat it whole. Also any tortoise that will eat plain hay is likely to eat plain LS too. My big sulcatas are the only ones of mine that would eat the LS too. The big leopards would eat it if a small amount was mixed in with some soaked regular Mazuri, but they wouldn't touch it alone. And my tortoises will eat anything...

This thread is about a hatchling leopard tortoise. Because the LS won't get mushy when soaked, I don't think its a good food for hatchlings of any species. I suppose you could run it through a blender first, but that's an awful lot of work when you could just use other things that are easier.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
They make an LS small version with pellets about as large as a grain of rice. I bought a bag to see what it was like.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They make an LS small version with pellets about as large as a grain of rice. I bought a bag to see what it was like.
We'll wait on the report.
Some folks don't like it because it is rock hard and won't soak. My issue wasn't about size or consistency. It was the fact that my torts clearly didn't like the taste.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Me too. I originally bought it because of the size but was seriously bummed when I realized that It doesn't soak as easily. Was TOTALLY turned off when my torts refused to eat anything that evening even after I removed the offensive LS stuff