Hatchling Losses

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
Many threads, arguments and discussions have been had on this subject alone. Many different opinions have emerged. My opinion is that different tactics work for different people. I can type the exact same sentence to 10 people and 2 will cuss me for it, 4 will thank me for it, 1 will call me a "guru", 2 will ignore it and just go on with whatever they were doing, and 1 will leave the forum because of it. Sometimes the sugar-coated nice approach works better, sometimes the frank and blunt approach works better, sometimes a harsher approach works better and sometimes just the passage of time lets ideas sink in.

Anyhow, I don't think there are numbers on the original question of what percentage of babies survive their first six months. I think it really depends on the breeder, seller and new keeper. The numbers are all over the map based on these three primary variables.

Another factor that occurs to me is that many of these "keep-em'-dry" style breeders don't realize how many of their babies they are killing because the babies survive for several weeks of months before succumbing to the effects of early dehydration. We see it all the time here.
I love the tortoise forum. But man some people just refuse to accept your help. I love constructive criticism. And it's not really even criticism it's just pointing out how "something" is or could be bad.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
I thank the day I found this site. Every time I have a question about my hatchling I get on it and look for a answer. To me the forum is a changing of ideas. The hearing of peoples experiences who are raising turtles/tortoises. It doesn't mean I will follow all of or even some of it but it helps to get ideas. All anyone can do is put the info out there and let it be.It may turn out the person that doesn't accept the help is not the person who truly needs it. Whats the saying about horses and water??

TheSulcata

I thank the day I found this site. Every time I have a question about my hatchling I get on it and look for a answer. To me the forum is a changing of ideas. The hearing of peoples experiences who are raising turtles/tortoises. It doesn't mean I will follow all of or even some of it but it helps to get ideas. All anyone can do is put the info out there and let it be.It may turn out the person that doesn't accept the help is not the person who truly needs it. Whats the saying about horses and water??

Yeah, this website has helped my a lot with my sulcatas

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" Probably one of my favorite quotes. Simple yet so meaningful.