Hatchling Albino Softshells!!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
The soft shells look like what I imagine a normal tortoise/turtle looks like while still in the egg. Weird but beautiful!

Yeah very translucent and delicate. These guys are strong though. Great swimmers and very active. And aggressive...

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Thanks Anthony. I had thought that was interesting when researching them. Apparently hundreds of millions of them are produced each year in China to eat and yet we barely see the normal colorations. Those large numbers are also why the albinos have become so prolific. Did you see the chelodina mccordi i received the other day?
Yes I did!!! Forgot for a second, but I did see it. They are crazy looking little guys!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a question regarding Chinese soft shelled turtles...are they as delicate and fungus prone as some of our native Apalone species?

The literature I've read seems to suggest that they are. I haven't had any problems though. I've even been having problems with my filter lately, so water quality has been fine, but not great. I've kept PH low with almond leaves. Another common thread in literature is that a substrate they can burrow into and a basking area really help to prevent fungal disease.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Today was moving day. The soft shells are now outdoors.

Getting them out of the tank and into the moving dish was such a pain in the ***. They dig down into the substrate, so I had to empty it. Then I had to dig around looking for them. And then I had to carry them to the dish, which is f@cking scary! They are so aggressive and fast. And they have necks that can span the length of their shells. You can't grab them anywhere on the carapace, except for the very back edge, or they'll get you. Or buy some gloves, but then I wouldn't be able to whine.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497292280.075259.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497292302.656040.jpg

They are now in a 2x2x4 galvanized stock tank. I think it is around 100 gallons and it is filled about two thirds of the way up. Still using a heater as they are still young. Heater is set at 80, but temp can drop a few degrees on cold nights and will probably get close to 90 on hot days. I'm using water hyacinth and water lettuce to help keep water temps down on those warm days. They will grow in very quickly in the heated water. Filtration is a Fluval 306. It is rated for 70 gallons which is probably a little too small for the tank, but I think it should be alright with the added help of the floating plants.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497292389.151740.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497292555.946819.jpg

I'm using washed play sand as a substrate, which I really feel is necessary for these guys. Keeping them on a bare bottom is comparable, in my opinion, to keeping chickens on concrete. If you look closely, you can see what I'm talking about.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497292467.311388.jpg

These guys remain incredibly active and fun to watch. This, of course, is paired with incredible aggression. Luckily, I haven't seen much in the way of aggression toward one another except for a few times when food was present. Regardless, they will be separated at some point as a precaution. On an unrelated note, anybody want a yearling softshell?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497293027.030813.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497293008.744772.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497293008.744772.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 18

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Today was moving day. The soft shells are now outdoors.

Getting them out of the tank and into the moving dish was such a pain in the ***. They dig down into the substrate, so I had to empty it. Then I had to dig around looking for them. And then I had to carry them to the dish, which is f@cking scary! They are so aggressive and fast. And they have necks that can span the length of their shells. You can't grab them anywhere on the carapace, except for the very back edge, or they'll get you. Or buy some gloves, but then I wouldn't be able to whine.

View attachment 210103
View attachment 210104

They are now in a 2x2x4 galvanized stock tank. I think it is around 100 gallons and it is filled about two thirds of the way up. Still using a heater as they are still young. Heater is set at 80, but temp can drop a few degrees on cold nights and will probably get close to 90 on hot days. I'm using water hyacinth and water lettuce to help keep water temps down on those warm days. They will grow in very quickly in the heated water. Filtration is a Fluval 306. It is rated for 70 gallons which is probably a little too small for the tank, but I think it should be alright with the added help of the floating plants.

View attachment 210105
View attachment 210107

I'm using washed play sand as a substrate, which I really feel is necessary for these guys. Keeping them on a bare bottom is comparable, in my opinion, to keeping chickens on concrete. If you look closely, you can see what I'm talking about.

View attachment 210106

These guys remain incredibly active and fun to watch. This, of course, is paired with incredible aggression. Luckily, I haven't seen much in the way of aggression toward one another except for a few times when food was present. Regardless, they will be separated at some point as a precaution. On an unrelated note, anybody want a yearling softshell?

View attachment 210109
My hat off to you for keeping aggressive pets. While really cute and cool to watch I think I'd be too freaked out to keep them.:) lol

AJK Aquaria

Nice setup Kev

I have the E. Spinys by me. My favorite turtle growing up. Finding hatchlings was always a thrill. Shame they grow so large, regarding keeping them in captivity. What's the average size on the Chinese variety?

Thanks

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice setup Kev

I have the E. Spinys by me. My favorite turtle growing up. Finding hatchlings was always a thrill. Shame they grow so large, regarding keeping them in captivity. What's the average size on the Chinese variety?

Thanks

Thank you.

I'd be really intimidated keeping a large softshell. They're way too strong and agile. Love em when they're small though.

Average size is probably 8". Males can be a couple inches smaller and females can be a couple inches bigger.

AJK Aquaria

Thanks for the info!

Another question...
Have you ran canisters outdoors before, unsheltered from the elements? Wondering how they hold up. I keep a lot of cichlids and have several Fluval canisters. Mostly FX models, but I do have a 306. I'm thinking of doing a stock tank on our patio, and a canister would be the easiest option. That or sponge filters, but I feel airlines would be easily jostled loose by turtles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the info!

Another question...
Have you ran canisters outdoors before, unsheltered from the elements? Wondering how they hold up. I keep a lot of cichlids and have several Fluval canisters. Mostly FX models, but I do have a 306. I'm thinking of doing a stock tank on our patio, and a canister would be the easiest option. That or sponge filters, but I feel airlines would be easily jostled loose by turtles.

I have a 600 gallon stock tank and a Skippy filter. I LOVE this filter:

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the info!

Another question...

I have. They work fine. As long as no rain or intense, direct sun. Sometimes there can be problems with the height of the stock tanks. Some filters need to be a foot under the water level, but you can just dig down and place the filter in a hole if you have problems.