Hatchling Albino Softshells!!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Trying to post videos. Don't have the option. Anyone know how I can do this?

Slasher

Hi Kevin.

1st off all congratulations on you're new family members.I would like to know how much do you know about P.Sinensis.My objectives are not to climb into you're caracter but simply to get more inforation.I recently aquired 1 myself and I have a few questions that I would like to ask relevant to my own tank setup as I do not know much about them.For instance;Do they need a basking spot-I see you're tank has none,or would you later be adding it?I know they are more carnivorous that herbivores,so what would a good diet be,size of the portions and how often should I feed.I have been feeding once every day,portion size about the size of its head and neck but she seldom eats that much.I have read they should be fed every other day,can you confirm?Mostly she's been eating mealworm but has taken alge wafers and I'm going to start feeding some hake.Do you think its a good idea to keep aquatic plants in the tank,will they eat it,is it good for them?When she is in her new enclosure I will have feeder guppy's with her in her tank.Pls let me know if you can give me advice as I desperately need it.Thank you.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
WOOOWW!!! :)
They are amazing!!!!:)

What plants are those?

Thanks. I have a few different kinds. The carpet in the foreground is micranthemum 'monte carlo'. The longer grass in the background is hair grass. I cant remember what the tall plants are.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi Kevin.

1st off all congratulations on you're new family members.I would like to know how much do you know about P.Sinensis.My objectives are not to climb into you're caracter but simply to get more inforation.I recently aquired 1 myself and I have a few questions that I would like to ask relevant to my own tank setup as I do not know much about them.For instance;Do they need a basking spot-I see you're tank has none,or would you later be adding it?I know they are more carnivorous that herbivores,so what would a good diet be,size of the portions and how often should I feed.I have been feeding once every day,portion size about the size of its head and neck but she seldom eats that much.I have read they should be fed every other day,can you confirm?Mostly she's been eating mealworm but has taken alge wafers and I'm going to start feeding some hake.Do you think its a good idea to keep aquatic plants in the tank,will they eat it,is it good for them?When she is in her new enclosure I will have feeder guppy's with her in her tank.Pls let me know if you can give me advice as I desperately need it.Thank you.

Yes, I will be adding a basking spot. Actually have one but wanted to lower the water level before I put it in the tank. They have very delicate skin so basking temps should be fairly low (high 80s-low 90s). My understanding is that this species is carnivorous. The person I received these from was feeding mazuri croc diet. If your turtles prefer sinking pellets then maybe try switching out the algae for a hikari carnivorous bottom feeder food. Mealworms are ok. They will eat snails and fish in the aquarium. I'd say the mazuri should be the staple diet with hikari, other turtle diets, mealworms/crickets, and whatever they eat in the tank as supplementing. They are very aggressive so they most likely will attack all animals inside, including other turtles. I felt ok keeping mine together since they are so small and they have a large enclosure. Feeding depends on age. Younger turtles should be fed every day. Once older, you can feed every other day. I assume plants should be fine since they are mainly carnivorous. It really depends on the turtle. Attached is a care sheet.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-chinese_softshell.htm

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Didn't realize how bad the iphone picture quality is on a computer. Will try to get some better pics with a camera next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 55

Slasher

Or you can get a app at playstore that converts other formats video to GIF format then you can post it.
Screenshot_20161211-183355.png

Last edited:

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Very nice pelodiscus. Funny, I've never seen a normal hatchling pelodiscus sinensis.

Your enclosure is beautiful.

Thanks Anthony. I had thought that was interesting when researching them. Apparently hundreds of millions of them are produced each year in China to eat and yet we barely see the normal colorations. Those large numbers are also why the albinos have become so prolific. Did you see the chelodina mccordi i received the other day?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks Anthony. I had thought that was interesting when researching them. Apparently hundreds of millions of them are produced each year in China to eat and yet we barely see the normal colorations. Those large numbers are also why the albinos have become so prolific. Did you see the chelodina mccordi i received the other day?

Never mind. Just saw you posted on the thread

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Heres a few pictures from today. Notice the sock I wore on my hand for protection (I couldn't find my gloves:)). Perhaps the most aggressive turtle I've ever cared for. You can see it in their eyes. They just look pissed all the time.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481595191.998270.jpg

I wish I had a coin on me at the time. These guys are the size of nickels. At the bottom left side of his plastron, you can see a little piece of food. If you've used zoomeds hatchling diet, that should give you an idea of their size.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481595217.697133.jpg

I love the plastrons on these guys. Almost translucent orange.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481595420.190224.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481595437.546978.jpg

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
The soft shells look like what I imagine a normal tortoise/turtle looks like while still in the egg. Weird but beautiful!