Hatching after 75 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
Wow, thats a huge difference in coloring! can't wait to see how the third one comes out!!!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I have two males, one dark, one light. My husband thinks my female was "visiting the neighbor" lol

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
So, how many clutches have you had recently? And what was average time between clutches?

Your female sounds so prolific! The eggs I have in incubator now are first ones we've had since the other time she laid in Sept 2010. Sounds like you are getting 3+ clutches a year? Whats your secret / lol

socialworker81

5 Year Member
JoeImhof said:
So, how many clutches have you had recently? And what was average time between clutches?

Your female sounds so prolific! The eggs I have in incubator now are first ones we've had since the other time she laid in Sept 2010. Sounds like you are getting 3+ clutches a year? Whats your secret / lol

There are about 4 weeks between each. She hasn't laid any in awhile. I wish I had a secret :) I was in fact thinking of separating them, because I think she is doing too much hard work. I am VERY new to breeding and kind of came upon it by accident when they started mating.
That being said, she eats like a pig, and looks at me with the little tortoise eyes, always begging for food, like I haven't fed her in days! And she seems in good health otherwise. I have never had any trouble with her... I don't want to stop a good thing. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What a fantastic trio. I love them all.

I don't know if you know this, but getting babies out of Russians is really pretty hit or miss. Some people just have success while others in seemingly similar situations just can't make it work. So what ever you are doing, it's working! They are just not the easiest tortoise to breed.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What a fantastic trio. I love them all.

I don't know if you know this, but getting babies out of Russians is really pretty hit or miss. Some people just have success while others in seemingly similar situations just can't make it work. So what ever you are doing, it's working! They are just not the easiest tortoise to breed.

I guess I learned something new today! Maybe they are in love :p Is that why there are so many wild caught Russians in the pet stores? My husband won't let me go into pet stores alone. Every time I see one, I want to bring it home. They look so sad, and some have such damaged shells :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wild caught and farm raised in the country of origin. They often have a weathered look to their shells when they are imported. I don't think there is anyone on this forum that wouldn't love to see more captive bred Russians and fewer wild caught ones. So your accomplishment there is a triumph of sorts. Keep it going. Every baby you produce is one less that will be imported. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.