Hatching after 75 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Floof said:
CUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!! I can't WAIT to get Russian hatchlings of my own. They're just so stinkin' adorable at that size! Do you mind my asking, how large your female was when she started laying?

She is about 7 inches now. She started laying eggs about a year ago. I don't think she has grown much since then.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Please continue to post pics. Even though Russians are a fairly "common" species, we don't often get to see the brand new hatchlings. Well, no often enough for me anyway...

I want to know how the other eggs come along too!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Please continue to post pics. Even though Russians are a fairly "common" species, we don't often get to see the brand new hatchlings. Well, no often enough for me anyway...

Will do, I love taking pictures of my tortoises :) Actually there is another egg hatching right now. I took a short video with my phone, am I able to upload video on here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes video is possible, but you need a third party site. I use tinyic.com since it is free, and they don't make you give any info or have an account. Really easy.

socialworker81 said:
Tom said:

Will do, I love taking pictures of my tortoises :) Actually there is another egg hatching right now. I took a short video with my phone, am I able to upload video on here?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
socialworker81 said:
She is about 7 inches now. She started laying eggs about a year ago. I don't think she has grown much since then.

Very cool! Hmm, maybe I'll be seeing eggs from my girls sooner than I've been thinking? It seems like when someone mentions what size their laying female is, it's something like 7.5" or larger. My girls are only around 6-6.5" SCL yet, so I've been thinking I have awhile yet to go. :)

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with Tom. We do not see NEARLY enough Russian hatchlings here. I think it's safe to say pretty much everyone here would looove to see pics of your hatchlings!!

Oh, and I think I forgot to say in my last post, but CONGRATS!!!! on the healthy hatchlings!!!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I was having trouble with the site. I am downloading on youtube now. Still have 30 minutes left, but here is the link.
http://youtu.be/lhz6Mz5HHM0

Floof said:
socialworker81 said:

Very cool! Hmm, maybe I'll be seeing eggs from my girls sooner than I've been thinking? It seems like when someone mentions what size their laying female is, it's something like 7.5" or larger. My girls are only around 6-6.5" SCL yet, so I've been thinking I have awhile yet to go. :)

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with Tom. We do not see NEARLY enough Russian hatchlings here. I think it's safe to say pretty much everyone here would looove to see pics of your hatchlings!!

Oh, and I think I forgot to say in my last post, but CONGRATS!!!! on the healthy hatchlings!!!
I think those girls and boys just start when they are ready. She was pretty small when I got her and grew pretty fast. Babies followed soon after :) I have only have her for about 3 and a half years... She was from a pet store though. so I am not sure how old she is.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
socialworker81 said:
I was having trouble with the site. I am downloading on youtube now. Still have 30 minutes left, but here is the link.
http://youtu.be/lhz6Mz5HHM0

I think those girls and boys just start when they are ready. She was pretty small when I got her and grew pretty fast. Babies followed soon after :) I have only have her for about 3 and a half years... She was from a pet store though. so I am not sure how old she is.

Congrats, on the hatching. One of my goldens just laid 3 eggs tonight! Keeping my fingers crossed.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I am getting a little concerned about the second hatchling. As this will only be #4 that I have ever successfully hatched.
He started about 12 hours ago. When I got up this morning, I could barley see his head. I can see he is breathing, I think anyway, as I can see movement up and down. I'm concerned as he has barley progressed and the "goo" from inside the egg is still protruding out. I won't be back home for another 8 hours :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never hatched Russians, but sometimes leopards and sulcatas will just sit in their egg for two or three days after pipping themselves an air hole. Don't worry. The best advice I got was to leave them alone. If they are still in their egg and able to breathe then they are fine. The only thing I will sometimes do is add just a little moisture to the substrate to make sure things are humid and damp enough. In your egg cups, I would guesstimate about one teaspoon over on one side away from the egg, would be plenty. This is not necessary if you think things are already damp enough. Often they sit in there absorbing their yolk sac and just preparing for the heavy duty work that lies ahead.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thanks! That is what I was hoping, the other ones came so fast. Those little guys do have a lot of work to do. It must be tiring :) I did put a very small amount of water in the cup today. Thanks for the advice! Btw, thanks so much to everyone here. So glad I finally found tortoise lovers like me, lol :)

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
Oh, congrats!!!! I have been wanting a tortoise (Russian or Redfoot) since I first rescued my EBT, so cute to see baby photos of them... don't stop posting pictures!!!!!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
This is the second egg for at least the past 16 hours or so. I noticed he puts his head back in the egg a few times, but he is still breathing. He hasn't broken through any further since about 7:00 est.

image-1479806073.png

socialworker81 said:
This is the second egg for at least the past 16 hours or so. I noticed he puts his head back in the egg a few times, but he is still breathing. He hasn't broken through any further since about 7:00 est.

7:00 AM I meant

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
socialworker81 said:
Finally! After 75 days, the first baby is trying to leave the egg! I shined a small light inside the incubator to see how the little guy was progressing, and scared him back in the shell a little. I am just so anxious to see him. Pictures soon. Thanks to everyone who gave me the tips on misting the eggs :)

Congrats on your little miracles!! Keep sharing !! :)!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's just not ready to face the world yet. Somedays, I know the feeling.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
The little guy finally decided to greet the world while I was at work today! And the last egg from that clutch is starting to break through! Pictures soon, the difference in shell color is so striking, considering they were all laid at the same time.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
How exciting! He's so adorable!! I can't wait to see all three together.

Status
Not open for further replies.