Hatching a tort without the egg shell-Science nerds check it out.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm just here to watch and see what happens.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You have overwhelming curiosity about chelonian eggs. I wish you had been head of my graduate committee while I was in school. I might still have not graduated though. LOL. I look forward to the updates as they come in.
Thanks, I'm curious about all aspects of torts, it fascinates me, may aswell start from the ground up.
It would be nice if someone with a proven female and a shorter incubation species could do this(Russian maybe).
Can you see any reason why theoretically this would not work? I was wondering if the few minutes exposure to the atmosphere before I covered it would have already damaged something, then again does the albumen keep the yolk sealed from contamination.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Thanks, I'm curious about all aspects of torts, it fascinates me, may aswell start from the ground up.
It would be nice if someone with a proven female and a shorter incubation species could do this(Russian maybe).
Can you see any reason why theoretically this would not work? I was wondering if the few minutes exposure to the atmosphere before I covered it would have already damaged something, then again does the albumen keep the yolk sealed from contamination.

Yes the albumin is the sealant and water,waste component of an egg. No knowing on exposure contamination, but I would guess not a problem.

I will go you one better than theoretical will it work or not as you have done it, It can/will work, it's been done many times. Some even published in the sci. lit. as a way to monitor the development of chelonians' eggs. I think that is some Micheal Ewert work. He published so much it's difficult for me to re-find it right now. It could have been an earlier author, Yhetem or something like that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes the albumin is the sealant and water,waste component of an egg. No knowing on exposure contamination, but I would guess not a problem.

I will go you one better than theoretical will it work or not as you have done it, It can/will work, it's been done many times. Some even published in the sci. lit. as a way to monitor the development of chelonians' eggs. I think that is some Micheal Ewert work. He published so much it's difficult for me to re-find it right now. It could have been an earlier author, Yhetem or something like that.
Well that gives me some hope. I've just had to modify it a bit. Not sure I've done the right thing, but the cling film was sucking onto the albumen, so I've made a cage and laid the cling film over that and sealed to the egg. Trust me I was super careful to keep the egg level. Now I'm thinking have I trapped air in there.
The cage is food grade stainless.
My missis is going to go mad the next time she goes for the vegetable blanching basket to find the veg falling straight through, it has a rather large square hole cut out of it. Lol
IMG_20160915_202446.jpg

Wolfie

Montana
Well that gives me some hope. I've just had to modify it a bit. Not sure I've done the right thing, but the cling film was sucking onto the albumen, so I've made a cage and laid the cling film over that and sealed to the egg. Trust me I was super careful to keep the egg level. Now I'm thinking have I trapped air in there.
The cage is food grade stainless.
My missis is going to go mad the next time she goes for the vegetable blanching basket to find the veg falling straight through, it has a rather large square hole cut out of it. Lol
View attachment 186983
Whoa! This is really quite interesting!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thinking again. :rolleyes:
When we take about sex temperature incubation I'm at the understanding it's not 100% full proof, although the general information is higher temps produce females. In nature surely it's pot luck as temps fluctuate at the exact moment that genitalia are developing.
Taking an experiment similar to this to a professional level would we see the development of genitalia whilst monitoring temps.
For example, 2 eggs in seperate incubators at 80 & 90f, with equipment to film and record temps extremely accurately.
Would we see the differences in development between male and female with the temp recording at that time?

This could go on forever, sorry.

The above then got me thinking about splitties, If temps are required at 90F for a female but also this produces splits. Would it not be the case for example only the first 4 wks requires 90f for the internal genitalia development then temps drop to stop splitties as the rest developes. In nature fluctuation in temps would offer either sex and vastly reduce splitties.
Is it the constant barrage of high temps we keepers do that produce splitties thinking keeping a constant high temp throughout incubation is the requirement when in fact it could just be a 4 wk window period.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Shortest experiment in the world. Took 5 days for yolk to merge in with albumen and it started to smell rotten. Im guessing being open to the atmosphere too long caused it.
Oh well. There will be more chances I suppose.
IMG_20160920_191009.jpg