Has this happened to anyone else?

klk.2

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
IMG_6338.PNG IMG_6339.PNG So recently I have noticed an inseparable bond between my tortoise and my.. dog? I have a 7 year old Shih-Tzu named Cali and two weeks ago Cali went up to Harley (my tortoise) and when I went to go get my dog she just sat right next to Harley and Harley started climbing all over her. Now when ever I soak Harley Cali is right by Harley's tub and whenever I let Harley out side they just walk in the grass side by side! Does anyone else have this relationship between their dog and their tort?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
How precious! Your dog is adorable! Just don't ever let them put of you sight! Not even for split second! Even the calmest dogs have been known to try playing with torts as their chew toys resulting in horrific injuries and often death of the tortoise. Do whatever it takes to keep your pet tort safe. I have a big kitty boy who has doglike personality. He also at times hangs around my torts, watching them. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501780537.964847.jpg I watch them like a hawk. Carnivorous animals with sharp teeth can not be trusted with baby torts, or any other small animals. Their natural killer insticts are very strong and it is not their fault when they give in to them. It is our job to keep everyone safe and healthy.

klk.2

Dallas, Texas
How precious! Your dog is adorable! Just don't ever let them put of you sight! Not even for split second! Even the calmest dogs have been known to try playing with torts as their chew toys resulting in horrific injuries and often death of the tortoise. Do whatever it takes to keep your pet tort safe. I have a big kitty boy who has doglike personality. He also at times hangs around my torts, watching them. View attachment 214489 I watch them like a hawk. Carnivorous animals with sharp teeth can not be trusted with baby torts, or any other small animals. Their natural killer insticts are very strong and it is not their fault when they give in to them. It is our job to keep everyone safe and healthy.

I watch them like a halo as well!! I would be absolutely devastated if anything happened. Thank you for the advise!!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, do not take your eye off for a second. Tortoises don't really make a bond. It's also not safe to have a tortoise roaming your house. The hair on the floors of human or dog, if eating swallowed by the tort could possibly damage his insides. Sometimes the hair will get tangled around legs and necks, not good. Besides dust bunnies and the accident fall, stepped on or crushed by a door, seen it all on here. The proper place for a tort is in its inside and outside enclosures.

klk.2

Dallas, Texas
I agree, do not take your eye off for a second. Tortoises don't really make a bond. It's also not safe to have a tortoise roaming your house. The hair on the floors of human or dog, if eating swallowed by the tort could possibly damage his insides. Sometimes the hair will get tangled around legs and necks, not good. Besides dust bunnies and the accident fall, stepped on or crushed by a door, seen it all on here. The proper place for a tort is in its inside and outside enclosures.

I personally don't let my tortoise walk around the house i have my mom watch him while i clean out his enclosure but any other time he comes out is for being soaked being taken out side or when i hold him but thank you for being cautious and looking out for him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally don't let my tortoise walk around the house i have my mom watch him while i clean out his enclosure but any other time he comes out is for being soaked being taken out side or when i hold him but thank you for being cautious and looking out for him
Thank you for reading my post and taking it for exactly what it is. Looking out for your tort and you too. Don't like heart aches over a sick or hurt tort. A lot of members just get defensive instead of understanding why we say the things we do. Always for the best interest of the tortoise first, owner second. Again, thanks.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My dog always acted like the tortoise wasn't there most of the time. He didn't understand the smell. If the tortoise got too near him, the dog would quickly move away. I think he was a little afraid of him. He was a retriever and I hoped I could train him to find Charlie when he got lost, but it didn't work.

I did have a rabbit who stuck to the dog like glue. I think the love was one-sided. My dog was too polite to tell the rabbit he wasn't interested.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Cute photo.
Animals are amazing in their abilities to get along sometimes - & sometimes not - too - as cautioned.

I have an old dog who is very used to my larger torts It's al about risk management & being reasonable.

My 2 cats give the 50 lb Sulcata a wide birth in the yard. He has zero fear of them & might just take a bite of tail as a taste test. They seem to know this.

Good fortune to you.
Great photo ;)