Has my female got eggs?

hettisurmail

My male and female Hermann tortoise have been mating quite a lot recently. I was just wondering if she had eggs or not? How can I tell and how will I know when she is going to lay? She isn't over weight is this a clue? Thank you for any help. Xx

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
You really won't know until she starts showing signs of laying. One thing I have noticed about mine is they tend to lay before a change in weather, like before a cold front arrives or soon after a big rain. You'll also see some laying traits which will tell you in the future when to watch out. Mine will pace the fenceline in a certain area for a day or two before, back and forth constantly, then they will either dig a test hole or just dig the hole and lay since they have done it many times.

If you are really curious, you can pay a vet to take an x-ray. I'm not aware of any other way to tell if she is carrying.

hettisurmail

You really won't know until she starts showing signs of laying. One thing I have noticed about mine is they tend to lay before a change in weather, like before a cold front arrives or soon after a big rain. You'll also see some laying traits which will tell you in the future when to watch out. Mine will pace the fenceline in a certain area for a day or two before, back and forth constantly, then they will either dig a test hole or just dig the hole and lay since they have done it many times.

If you are really curious, you can pay a vet to take an x-ray. I'm not aware of any other way to tell if she is carrying.
Thank you:D

seanang168

10 Year Member!
When my Star girl has eggs, she seemed heavier than normal.