Happy to announce...

xtessybear

I have had my Russian since the beginning of June. I found out I was completely caring for him the wrong way! I got really scared, so I stumbled upon this beautiful, helpful website. I'm in high school and I have a job, but I'd say I get pretty tight on money. If you check out my other threads, it's basically an SOS, because it drove me crazy that I didn't know where to start. But now, I pulled some strings and I think I just provided him with the best home indoors since I'm living in Minnesota.
rsz_boop_027.jpg

This is roughly the size of the tote Dipper was living in before we upgraded. I was informed by the woman I bought it from that this would be OK, as well as other various sites on the internet until I spent a few hours reading threads on Tortoise Forum. As soon as we upgraded, I used this just to expand the coco coir. He's happier now.

rsz_boop_025.jpg

This is after our upgrade. I have a coworker who coincidentally breeds Russians and he offered to build me something for Dipper. It was a hell of a ride to bring it up the staircase and through the door, but his new home is 3ft x 6ft long and 18 inches high. We're also putting together a ramp for a second level on a small portion of his enclosure, as well as planks overhead so the light / heat reach him better. This enclosure is a total monster! It's taken up roughly 1/3 of my room. He's gotten sleepy this winter though, but I can tell he's a different tortoise now. I am so grateful to everyone on here who helped me through this, but him and I both are doing better now.

:<3::<3::<3: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Happy Holidays!! ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ :<3::<3::<3:

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi,
More experienced members might provide you with further advice on how to make the enclosure even better, but -- wow! What an upgrade! :) Great job trying to provide the best for your little guy despite limited resources!

xtessybear

Hi,
More experienced members might provide you with further advice on how to make the enclosure even better, but -- wow! What an upgrade! :) Great job trying to provide the best for your little guy despite limited resources!

Thank you!! That means a lot. And yes, I believe there is always room for improvement with us.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Nice upgrade. :)
I'd add some spider plants to give him a bit of interest and hidey places.
make sure all your lamps face straight down. They are more effective that way and last longer, too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOOHOO, very happy for your tort for having you as a care taker that is willing to do what is need to give him a good home. Happy for you for finding us and joining in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good job, Tess. I would move the hiding place back into the corner, lower that one light fixture and hang it straight down, and add a few plants. Russian tortoises are earth movers, and quickly destroy real plants, so I like to use those plastic aquarium plants with the weighted base. I bury the base down into the substrate and it's no big deal to put them back upright when he moved them around and knocks them down.

Oogway the russian tort

Add plants like spider plants or boston fern they love to hide in them and like what Yvonne G said they are earth movers so i put them in tiny pots or pit them in a high place so they cant destroy it but the leaves hamg over for them to hide in