Hairball(ish) and loss of appetite

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
I found Ruby yesterday morning with a "wad" in front of her that can be best described as similar to a hairball. I could see grass and things and smelled vile like vomit. She did not eat yesterday (understandable) but is also not interested in food today. She did drink a lot last night and a bit this morning. Is there anything I need to be looking for or worrying about yet?

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Sometimes that will happen happened to mine the other day sometimes even more than they need. you can feed it the same food as you did the other day and see if it happens again just don't feed as much if it continues to happen you should take it to the vet.

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Oh sorry I did not read the whole thing OK if it continues not to eat you should take it to The vet to see what is wrong maybe try to feed it different food, if it what are you sorry I didn't read that it wasn't eating.

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Sorry a lot of messy typing. All I meant to say was offered different foods maybe a hibiscus flower. If it continues not even to eat or sniff I recommend taking to the vet

Bee62

Germany
I found Ruby yesterday morning with a "wad" in front of her that can be best described as similar to a hairball. I could see grass and things and smelled vile like vomit. She did not eat yesterday (understandable) but is also not interested in food today. She did drink a lot last night and a bit this morning. Is there anything I need to be looking for or worrying about yet?

Had your tortoise been outside ? Could it be possible that she ate something weird ? Mayby dog or cat poop or hair from a cat or a dog ?
I would soak her for a very long time twice a day in warm water. Mayby some more of that stuff is stuck in the intestinal of your tort.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
She's in an outdoor 40x7 fully protected enclosure. I guess she could have eaten things in there but they are all tort safe plants and weeds. We are now on day 4 of her hunger strike. She even turned her nose up at papaya which is her favorite. I have soaked her several times this week and no poop. I've not seen poop in the enclosure (but it's big). After her soak last night she did graze on some weeds as she was heading back to her favorite spot to sleep. She has a vet appointment on Saturday. She has lost 25 grams this week

Bee62

Germany
She's in an outdoor 40x7 fully protected enclosure. I guess she could have eaten things in there but they are all tort safe plants and weeds. We are now on day 4 of her hunger strike. She even turned her nose up at papaya which is her favorite. I have soaked her several times this week and no poop. I've not seen poop in the enclosure (but it's big). After her soak last night she did graze on some weeds as she was heading back to her favorite spot to sleep. She has a vet appointment on Saturday. She has lost 25 grams this week

You can try to feed her non organic oil, but when she is not eating it will be difficult. The oil can make things that stuck passing trough the intestinal.

@Yvonne G are more experienced in such things. I hope she will answer.
Yvonne, help please !