Habitat for Leopard tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

mockander55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I want to use the Penn Plax Reptology Tortoise Palace from Petco for my pet Leopard tortoise. Here is the link for the habitat. The habitat will be used for the first 5 years of the tortoise life. I know the tortoise will out-grow the habitat and then I will place the tortoise in a bigger habitat. I want to know if anyone had any problems with this habitat. Could you please explain?

http://www.petco.com/product/122645...Tortoise-Palace.aspx?CoreCat=TurtleHPHabitats

Attachments

• 030172073472C.jpg
    030172073472C.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 103

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
For a leopard tortoise this enclosure certainly wouldn't last you 5 years! My guess would it would last you 2 years MAX depending on how quickly your tortoise grows. And thats if you got it as a hatchling. This size enclosure would be suitable for a 4 inch tortoise maxiumum I'd say. You may have to think bigger.

In fact, you'll 100% have to think bigger :p sorry!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I too wouldn't expect that to last more than 2 years. The first year as full time living and the second year as night time only while he spends his days outside.

Plus, if you wanted to raise him with high heat and humidity the open top wouldn't allow for that.

Sent from my TFOapp

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cheaper and and better is to get the biggest plastic tote storage box you can get at a store like Home Depot. Also, please check out Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy, smooth leopard. The sulcata threads apply also.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with everyone's responses. You can design your own enclosure for cheaper too, with the right essentials and get more "bang for the buck".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't use one of those. The design would not allow me to maintain the environmental parameters that I wish to maintain. Here is what I do, and THIS design should actually last you for five years when used in conjunction with an outdoor fair-weather pen.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

I like Will's technique too, for a smaller, cheaper, shorter term solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.