Guesses on sex of this tortoise at petco please

glitch4200

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW suburbs of Chicago
Sooo.. I found this gorgeous tortoise at petco. And I haven't been able to stop thinking about it . But I have a male already. And I have a second spot kinda looking for a female. But I am not sure if this is one. All the other tortoises had longer tails with a bent tip just like my male and then I saw this one with a super short tail usually a sign of a female? Or maybe sex not determined?

Attachments

• 1417880258510.jpg
    1417880258510.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 95
  • 1417880270019.jpg
    1417880270019.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 89

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could be a female. A pic from underside showing the cloacal opening and anal scutes would be better.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would also say female, that is a short stubby tail, all right. A cloaca opening shot would be best though. and pairs don't do well, not preaching, just spreading info.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
What is that "food item" that looks like Fruit Loops cereal ?

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Chill my fellow tortoise friends. I was at petco yesterday and the conditions this one was in was horrible. Mold growing in the habitst. Temps kept at 75 degrees. 4 tortoises in one tank . As yoy all know I have nibbles my male Russian tortoise. I know would like to introduce pebbles. I had to rescue her...

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
This is my males setup. I don't have much room and now I will have even less room ... I had to take her though. They were all suffering but she seemed the youngest and in best shape. When I got her home and took her temperature it was 68degrees. I immediately bathed her in warm water . Fed her a meal other then that **** they were feeding them . She dominated it. And has been trying to escape. Lol I I was so mad at petco. I freaked out at the conditions they were living in.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
she is in quarantined enclosure until I make her one. I don't want anything to happen to my male. Cross infection or anything. So they will wait to meet.

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Oh and it would probably be important to know my fiance is pregnant 0_o...how are tortoises with babies and pregnant women?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is prob. the tropical tortoise food, we call it "fruity pebbles"

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Thats great you saved her. I know its hard when you see poor enviorments. Great, you can already tell my the way she ate she's happy !

glitch4200

5 Year Member
NW suburbs of Chicago
Thats great you saved her. I know its hard when you see poor enviorments. Great, you can already tell my the way she ate she's happy !

Thank you. It is really hard. My fiance finally said yes after I wouldn't sleep last night cuz I kept thinking or the conditions they were in. I could only save one and she was the healthiest and looked the best.