Growth ring or something to worry about?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
as far as the scute goes, I sent a message to Yvonne to see what her thoughts are.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
His tunnel is directly underneath the bulb so maybe as he sleeps under the tunnel it's affected it.
And I suppose as he is getting bigger he is closer to it.

It just hangs down in the viv.

Can I stop it getting worse?

Also. Sorry.. is it just mainly down to the type of substrate that helps with humidity??
I think the question was to clarify the distance between the heat source and the carapace, if too close, there maybe burning issues. As for the humidity and substrate, yes, substrate is what helps keeping humidity consistently up in your viv. Many members here use coco coir or orchid bark as those hold the humidity. Some (myself included) establish biosubstrate which over time starts living life of it's own and acts as "biofilter" inside your viv'a micro eco system which was my goal when choosing that route. You know, it's kinda like a filter or substrate in cycled fish tank, it contains the beneficial bacteria that you want in there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I saw the picture and didn't read any explanation, I would have thought the scute was lifting (a bad thing). However, after reading what has been said - it doesn't move and is stuck - I'm just going with "that's just the way it grows." I really don't think there's anything to worry about, but if it ever starts to feel loose, then you can start to worry.