Growth ring or something to worry about?

Hayleylouise91

Hey
My other tortoise trevor has had a slight movement on his shell and I'm so worried it's something to be concerned over?

14907216802251789731575.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I don't think I get it... this is probably THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SHELL I'VE EVER SEEN!!! What is your worry again? Could you try to explain like to a 6 yr old? I think this shell is GORGEOUS!!!!!

Hayleylouise91

Yes the small gap at the front between a scute.. I am super worried. It is not loose or any give and the breeder I got him from said it was a growth ring... is that a bad thing? Is he wrong? Lol ..

Ah thank you. That's so lovely. I have tried my hardest to look after both of my hermans but I am a worrier!!

Hayleylouise91

This is my other tortoise. But he is slightly pymraiding as I think I may have been over feeding him slightly so I'm reducing it down ..

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_180121_220.jpg
    IMG_20170328_180121_220.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 38

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yes the small gap at the front between a scute.. I am super worried. It is not loose or any give and the breeder I got him from said it was a growth ring... is that a bad thing? Is he wrong? Lol ..

Ah thank you. That's so lovely. I have tried my hardest to look after both of my hermans but I am a worrier!!
Nothing wrong with "being a worrier" and questioning yourself when you are a novice at something. That's what leads us to developing strong solid skills and expertise over time. I like "the worriers" a lot more than the "know it all's" those tend to not learn much at all due to being closed minded. That "gap" is just the way his shell is growing. The future growth will be smoother once you get the humidity figured out. No worries!:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
This is my other tortoise. But he is slightly pymraiding as I think I may have been over feeding him slightly so I'm reducing it down ..
Your torts are absolutely STUNNING!!!! This amt. of pyramiding is NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, so please don't:) and don't put your torts on diet! They are still growing and needing their nutrition and calories for building up their mass and growth. Again as stated before, i feed mine enough for them to walk away from their food with some left over. If they clean the plate in one sitting, I add more. Mine are 22 months old (almost 2 yrs). Just think : youngster tort is much like youngster human child, they go through growth spurts and need lots of food during those time. Let your torts tell you WHEN they need more and be sure they get enough of good quality healthy food. So far they both look BEAUTIFUL

Pearly

5 Year Member
It actually looks like that scute is possibly peeling up. The other tort is slightly pyramiding and that has nothing to do with over feeding. It has to do with raising it in a dry environment
"Peeling up"? Could you please explain? I would like to know more

Hayleylouise91

It actually looks like that scute is possibly peeling up. The other tort is slightly pyramiding and that has nothing to do with over feeding. It has to do with raising it in a dry environment

What would of caused that and how can I get it fixed or stop it??

Hayleylouise91

Your torts are absolutely STUNNING!!!! This amt. of pyramiding is NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, so please don't:) and don't put your torts on diet! They are still growing and needing their nutrition and calories for building up their mass and growth. Again as stated before, i feed mine enough for them to walk away from their food with some left over. If they clean the plate in one sitting, I add more. Mine are 22 months old (almost 2 yrs). Just think : youngster tort is much like youngster human child, they go through growth spurts and need lots of food during those time. Let your torts tell you WHEN they need more and be sure they get enough of good quality healthy food. So far they both look BEAUTIFUL

Yeah I really need to increase the humidity and maintain it. They are in the viv all day as we are at work and we don't have a garden at the moment.. then when I get home from work they are both out running around the house and they fall asleep on the sofa or in the lounge somewhere.

They are the best little things I have ever had anf I adore them dearly. I just want to make sure I look after them as well as possible. They have the best Character!!

Hayleylouise91

The scute doesn't move when I touch it or anything.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
does your finger catch on it when you slide across it? It could just be the camera angle that makes it look that way to me. I've seen some do this when they get to close to the light or heat source

Hayleylouise91

does your finger catch on it when you slide across it? It could just be the camera angle that makes it look that way to me. I've seen some do this when they get to close to the light or heat source

Yeah it's slightly raised up but it's not loose or wobbly or moving .. it's like it's just stuck there ...

Hayleylouise91

His tunnel is directly underneath the bulb so maybe as he sleeps under the tunnel it's affected it.
And I suppose as he is getting bigger he is closer to it.

It just hangs down in the viv.

Can I stop it getting worse?

Also. Sorry.. is it just mainly down to the type of substrate that helps with humidity??

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
If you can post a picture if the enclosure, I'm sure plenty of us can help with ideas how to help you with humidity.