Growth rate/personality

July

5 Year Member
At what age would a marginated tortoise be full size? I'm considering a hatchling and wondering how long til adult sized?
Also, are they considered to have more personality than most other species? I want something more outgoing.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Margies reach adult size around ten to fifteen years of age, though they continue to grow into their twenties. Personalities vary, but I would say they tend to be more laid back than most other Mediterranean species. Eastern Hermanns, Ibera Greeks, and Russians tend to be the most outgoing, as a rule, though there are exceptions and lots of 'em, from my experience.

T.G.

July

5 Year Member
Is that slower than average growth,say compared to a red foot or leopard?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Honestly, I've never raised redfoots or leopards in any long term sense. My uncle keeps both of those species, and I have kept them whenever he goes on vacation or out of town. From what I understand, it is comparable. A decade to a decade and a half will produce an adult animal in both cases, I figure. Some animals take longer to reach that stage, notably radiated torts, aldabras, galaps, all of whom take around two decades, if memory serves. So, I suppose, margies mature at a more or less average rate.

T.G.