growing sulcata food

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
There are lots of good options out there... :tort:
Check into the Broadleaf Weed Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply. It'll work well for both your torts.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Where do you live? Are you able to grow food all year long?

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The Testudo Mix is terrific. It produces lots of greens. Great variety too. You may also want to start some opuntia cactii, grape, hibiscus, and squash (leaves and flowers). Although it is late in the season for these you can keep it in mind for the future.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
The Testudo Mix is terrific. It produces lots of greens. Great variety too. You may also want to start some opuntia cactii, grape, hibiscus, and squash (leaves and flowers). Although it is late in the season for these you can keep it in mind for the future.
In my garden i have some pumkin plants growing and the tortoises love the flowers.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Broad leaf mix works good. I do like a mix that has a little grass in it too. but thats just a personal preference.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Grape vines, pumpkin, cucumber, squash plants, they can eat the whole plant, mulberry trees, opuntia,wild violets, rose of sharon, crape myrtle,The best to grow are any and all safe lawn weeds that you can. I have a very diverse lawn, been working on it for years, it is mostly weeds and weedy grasses for my tortoises. It looks as good as any in the area right after cutting, but it grows uneven, My lawn is the best source of sulcata and some of my other tortoises food I have. I now save the cuttings for winter feeding. It's good to plan ahead, your tortoise is only going to get bigger and eat much more food.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Grape vines, pumpkin, cucumber, squash plants, they can eat the whole plant, mulberry trees, opuntia,wild violets, rose of sharon, crape myrtle,The best to grow are any and all safe lawn weeds that you can. I have a very diverse lawn, been working on it for years, it is mostly weeds and weedy grasses for my tortoises. It looks as good as any in the area right after cutting, but it grows uneven, My lawn is the best source of sulcata and some of my other tortoises food I have. I now save the cuttings for winter feeding. It's good to plan ahead, your tortoise is only going to get bigger and eat much more food.
i stole some grass from my lawn and planted it in my torts cages. My sulcata and russians love it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Mine also love the clover and dandelion mix from there, Great site with great shipping!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have seen cacti for sale there, but I might have missed them! I'd like to get some next year when weather warms up.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I have seen cacti for sale there, but I might have missed them! I'd like to get some next year when weather warms up.
did u see my post on tortoise greenhouse? During the winter im going to try to make a greenhouse for my torts so they can have sunlight all year round. I'm also think of making an extra greenhouse just for growing my torts food.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, I really liked your idea! I grow my seed mixes inside so it won't be a big shock if I bring them in the winter...