Growing own tortoise food

groutmanshaun

Hello to everyone. I yesterday purchased my first tortoise (tank) he is a 10 month old horsefield. So I have just ordered loads of seed and other bits from shelled warriors as I intend to.grow everything that tank eats. Has anybody else chosen this path and what success did you have also am I making the correct decision in doing this. The idea is that I would always have a fresh and varied stock available

Thanks for your time

Shaun

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Hello to everyone. I yesterday purchased my first tortoise (tank) he is a 10 month old horsefield. So I have just ordered loads of seed and other bits from shelled warriors as I intend to.grow everything that tank eats. Has anybody else chosen this path and what success did you have also am I making the correct decision in doing this. The idea is that I would always have a fresh and varied stock available

Thanks for your time

Shaun
I might order weed seeds online :D that's all I can contribute :)

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I grow a lot of my tortoise's food mostly during the winter months. I grow the grass/weed mix in seed starting trays under grow lighting in my classroom. I know this will get harder to keep up with as she grows. With that in mind, I introduced hay pellets (like for horses) to supplement her diet. they soften up real quick when water is added. Then again I have a sulcata which I beleive will eat more then a horsefield. I wouldnt consider growing your own food hard to do. I just would make sure to start enough seeds so that they have enough time to regrow in between harvesting.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I find that gardening and having tortoises go hand in hand. It is important, if not unavoidable since it's best to create the most natural setting for our torts. That being said,
growing your tort's food is fun and rewarding; you know how safe the food is and chances are, it's more nutritional and fresher than food you'd purchase in a grocery store.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have squash started, chicory, plantain, grass, mulberry tree sapling ( that one is tricky) hibiscus, and mallow all growing for winter feedings. I find that I'm really enjoying the gardening part of tort ownership, even with my black thumb ;)

turtlemanfla88

you can also, grow mulberry trees for leaves and fruit, figs for leaves and fruit, collard greens, turnip greens,endive, escarole, and romaine lettuce.
I go easy with lettuce. you can do veggies in 1-3 gallon buckets then bring them inside. I also, grow pricky pear cactus outside all year long in Florida.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I plant a few things, but will be planting in larger scale this winter. I've been taking clipping of plants and harvesting seeds, getting ready for winter.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

josh shultis

ontario, canada
I'm not sure where you guys live but in canada all the seeds are starting to mature right now, find a good field an you can get thousands in a few minutes! I find the easiest to collect are dandelion an sow thistle just pick the fluff balls lol! An plantain when the stocks turn brown just run your fingers up an all the seeds fall right off in your hand!

turtlemanfla88

I live in Florida and I never can find dandelions any where. I am trying to propogate weed species that our native gopher tortoises eat.

Flipper

MO, USA
I have squash started, chicory, plantain, grass, mulberry tree sapling ( that one is tricky) hibiscus, and mallow all growing for winter feedings. I find that I'm really enjoying the gardening part of tort ownership, even with my black thumb ;)
I've looked all over for a mulberry tree and can't find one o_O

groutmanshaun

I live in the UK and be have only a small selection of weed/plants available hence I have order a kit which will give me access to over 70 different varieties which are all tortoise safe. These are all going to be grown in my garage. On the basis it works the way I hope I should have my own little tortoise grocery store in my garage with a huge variety of feed and with tank being only 10 months gives me time to get this right as he doesn't demand loads of food at present

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Really, that would be so kind and generous! I'd love it... And so would Tallula :D

You got it! I had a ton but we bush wacked the fence row recently and now I only have med size which I don't think would mail well! You ever come back to ohio I will have them and rose of sharons for you :)

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i grow weeds and flowers and if i can grow them any one can. its so easy just fill a cat litter tray with soil and scatter some seeds on top and leave them out side some where sunny. they start sprouting in just a few days and they seem to thrive on neglect . i've even started a compost heap so i have organic compost for next spring lol the things we do for out torts lol. :rolleyes: