Growing kale.

nicholas_13

Is it alright to grow kale in your Russian tortoises enclosure. Bought some kale Organic seeds 4 my tortoise enclosure is it alright 2 plant them?

Attachments

• 1391048294499.jpg
    1391048294499.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 73

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
It's fine to put that in your enclosure. However, it might be better to get them started outside of the enclosure until the plants are large enough. Usually seeding in an enclosure produces "leggy" sprouts unless you have ample light. Plus, chances are the seedlings will be either eaten before well established or trampled on.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Yep! Your seeds are organic, so you're good to go [THUMBS UP SIGN] with any seed, the important part is to make sure they are not coated in any kind of fertilizer or pesticide.

On a side note- I planted mustard green seeds in both of my sulcatas' enclosures, and as soon as the plants broke the surface of the coco coir, they did not let them get any bigger, and kept them mowed down like it was their jobs. I guess they were literally nipping them in the buds....

But then again your Russian is probably no where in the "MUST BULLDOZE AND NOM NOM NOM ON EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!" Mind frame that my sulcatas are.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Not if you want to actually grow it, lol. Russians will mow down any and all sprouts they can get their beaks on and kale would not have a chance. I tried to grow sweet potato vines. Got me four five foot vines. Two weeks later I had four little stubs. So I tried growing some sprouts in a huge tub. I had thousands of sprouts about 4 inches. It got cold one night and the next day it was 40 out and one of my boys was sitting in the corner chillin'. Literally. I rushed him inside and the only thing I had to put him in was the sprout tub. By the time I got back from the store with a better tub for him I had 0 sprouts. He ate every last one, climbed the tub and was peeking over the edge like he was looking for another tub o' sprouts!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
The kale i grew in my Russians cage, grew to about a centimeter and BAM eaten. They died and I wasted $10.

seanwilson1

Re: RE: Growing kale.

Barista5261 said:
Yep! Your seeds are organic, so you're good to go [THUMBS UP SIGN] with any seed, the important part is to make sure they are not coated in any kind of fertilizer or pesticide.

On a side note- I planted mustard green seeds in both of my sulcatas' enclosures, and as soon as the plants broke the surface of the coco coir, they did not let them get any bigger, and kept them mowed down like it was their jobs. I guess they were literally nipping them in the buds....

But then again your Russian is probably no where in the "MUST BULLDOZE AND NOM NOM NOM ON EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!" Mind frame that my sulcatas are.

Haha I like that analogy my leopards only a year and before she touches her food she must trample on it atleast once before she digs in.

Barista5261 said:

Haha I like that analogy my leopards only a year and before she touches her food she must trample on it atleast once before she digs in.