Growing food question

Ninja's mom

.I have a 1 year old Russian tortoise and recently started growing food. I live in a cold area so until now have used grocery store greens. A few weeks ago I decided to try two small planters with seeds from Tortoisesupply.com, using organic soil. Within a week I had food! Right now I only have enough to feed him one meal a day with that food and use grocery store greens for his other meal. I am going to plant a large planter today with more of the mixed seeds.

My questions are: Can he eat just these greens without supplementing with anything? I have Mazuri, but he is not a big fan (I realize I have no idea if its a girl or boy, but just call it a he b/c everyone but me in the house is a boy ha). Also, the other day after eating the greens I grew he had some very loose stool. Last night while soaking he also had some loose stool. I assume its b/c he's eating different foods then usual? Is this anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Usually loose stools are a sign of not enough fiber in the diet. It's common when there's too much lettuce or cucumber for example.

What's in the seed mix?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You should still supplement with Mazuri and many other foods.

Yes, the new mix will sometimes soften things up a bit, but also keep in mind that brand new sprinting plants have less fiber than more mature plants. Both of these things are factors in the looser stools.

Look for other weeds, leaves and flowers from safe sources in addition to what you are growing and buying.

Ninja's mom

The description of the seeds is:

A blend of 24 broadleaf plants and clovers. This is a great mix for the Mediterranean tortoises (Russians, Greeks, Hermanns, etc) or those species that just don't care for grasses. This mix has no grasses in it, and does well in warmer climates without a huge amount of irrigation (similar to the conditions most Testudo experience in the wild).

*Some of these seeds are nitro-coated to aid in germination.

I gave him some mazuri this morning after soaking it, we'll see how he does. He really doesn't seem to like it but every once in awhile he'll eat a little. It will be easier to mash up with the stuff i'm growing so I can try that as well.

Thanks!

Ninja's mom

I have also tried Zoomed food which he didn't like. When I first got him I ended up buying some "all living things tortoise food" b/c he was losing weight and I was desperate. He seemed to like that, but it doesn't seem like its a great quality food? He is now a great eater as far as greens but isn't crazy about pellets. Would it be worthwhile to get more of the all living things pellets b/c I know he likes them?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Are you using the newer Mazuri LS Tortoise Diet, or the standard Mazuri Tortoise Diet (5M21)? I've never had a single tortoise that could resist the old standard Mazuri.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I've also had really good success with Rep Cal Tortoise Diet. That is available in smaller sizes from most pet stores. Perhaps its the bright colors, but some more picky eaters seem to go after their favorite colors first and get their vitamins, Calcium, D3 supplement that way. I've been using that for over 20 years with hatchlings and juveniles.

Ninja's mom

Are you using the newer Mazuri LS Tortoise Diet, or the standard Mazuri Tortoise Diet (5M21)? I've never had a single tortoise that could resist the old standard Mazuri.

I think its the standard, there is nothing that says otherwise...

Ninja's mom

I've also had really good success with Rep Cal Tortoise Diet. That is available in smaller sizes from most pet stores. Perhaps its the bright colors, but some more picky eaters seem to go after their favorite colors first and get their vitamins, Calcium, D3 supplement that way. I've been using that for over 20 years with hatchlings and juveniles.

I will pick up some of the rep cal, it looks like the all living things pellets he liked.