Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay8019

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Establishing "Tortuga Flats" rescue/sanctuary in White Rock, New Mexico, suburb of Los Alamos, roughly 1,000 feet lower in altitude than Los Alamos. Family Veterinarian, Ridgeview Veterinary Hospital of Los Alamos, a practice in which one partner is also Sulcata enthusiast/owner Current residents are rescues, one 3 oz. Sulcata, and two very entertaining Box Turtles. Looking to add to our little family, wanting to help any Torts/Boxes in need.
Looking for forums to aid in building my "little dream ranch". Currently in Phase One - roughly 1.2 acre set-up. Budgeting for move to 3 acre - Phase Two - within three years. Absolutely open for any advise in success of our family pasttime.
Please contact at [email protected].

Regards,

Jay Justice
Tortuga Flats
White Rock , New Mexico
[email protected]

Attachments

• 10748265217_0_1.jpg
    10748265217_0_1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 10748433409_0_1.jpg
    10748433409_0_1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 10748980737_0_1.jpg
    10748980737_0_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 10772404609_0_1.jpg
    10772404609_0_1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the Forum Jay, How much experience with torts and Turts have you had and with what kinds?
It is nice that you are in the process of setting up a rescue/sanctuary in New Mexico. My Parents were from Las Vegas New Mexico and my Grandmother was from Los Alamos. I still have family in Las Vegas and Los Alamos as well as Albuquerque :) Like the name "Tortuga Flats".

jay8019

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi! Thanks so much for your resonse! History (trying to be brief) - Great Aunt was practicing Herp. at Okla. City Zoo, approx. mid 60's to mid/late 80's. Loved/cherish the times I was able to spend with her at work. Her house and yard were a Herp's dream come true!
On summer breaks, always spent time in Oklahoma - on personal mission to drive my Grandmother crazy, from saving/removing Terrapins on the pavement (alot of sicko's use as target practice - amazing ignorance - I digress.........). I wish I had pictures of the floor boards of her Cadillac back then, amazingly never damaged anything from what I recall.
New to Torts personally; however - we've got brilliant Vets willing to help me with anything, and I work with Biologists at a lab who have been absolutely wonderful sources of information.

Have kept Boxes since approx. 10 - 11 years.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum! Sounds as though you have set some great plans! Good luck!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings and Salutations Jay ~

You will find many great & knowledgeable torties peeps here ~ sounds like you will add quite nicely to our mix of members! Welcome!

Purpod

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Jay! You are a person to envy.....and to love! Good luck in your venture and keep us up to date.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Jay :D
You seem to be very enthusiastic about what you want to do, but I do think with your experience level you need to go very slow when it comes to tortoises and turtles.
You need to start as a keeper and move on to the sanctuary, than move on to the rescue (which are 2 seperate things).
I'd say to find a rescue in maybe New Mexico or Arizona that needs help placing Sulcatas and take on one or 2. That way you'll get some experience with helping tortoises that haven't gotten the greatest start in life, which is one of the harder things to do. Right up there with raising a hatchling right.
Just take it slow and get plenty of experience under your belts before you dive in head first and get overwhelmed with a sanctuary or rescue.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hello! What kind of boxies? Not quite sure what I read about them...have you kept them for 10-11 years or since you were that age?

Status
Not open for further replies.