Greetings to All

SJI

Hello, Everybody. I am SJI, and I have a great affinity for Turtles and Tortoises. I am from south Florida, but have just purchased a few acres of forest in North Florida. I have cared for one tortoise in my life, a native gopher tortoise named Panzer that I bought from a flea-market in my youth. He was fully-grown when I purchased him, and he lived for about 10 years after I adopted him. I fed him orchard-grass hay, veggie scraps, and he ate lots of vegetation on my family's land down south. Now, I am 25 years old, a homeowner, and I am ready to raise tortoises.
After some research, I am partial towards Sulcata tortoises, so once I have a couple acres of my land fenced off adequately, have a turtle-shed with a heater built, and all the other necessary amenities, I will try to adopt a tort or two from a rescue. Keep in mind, this is still many months off, as I still have a lot of learning to do. If my torts breed, cool, but that is not my objective. My objective is to have some tortoise friends who live happy lives in my care, and eventually the care of my future children.
I have read a few threads here and there, and will continue to bolster my knowledge using this forum as a resource.
The purpose of this thread is to introduce myself, say hello, and to invite anyone and everyone to offer advice and/or criticism to me.
Thank you all very much.
SJI

SJI

Welcome to the Forum! Wow, big plans. Keep us posted along ur journey.
Thanks, Maro. Yes, big plans, indeed. I am extremely excited to start working, but I am forcing myself to take it slow and learn as much as I can before I start building, buying, etc. Once I start, I will definitely keep track of my progress.

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Welcome to the forum SJI! I always admire people who educate themselves thoroughly before bringing an animal home. Kudos to you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

When you're ready, contact our member @ALDABRAMAN . He raises Aldabran tortoises, but he gets in rescued sulcatas quite often - bigger ones.

Reactions: SJI

SJI

Welcome to the forum SJI! I always admire people who educate themselves thoroughly before bringing an animal home. Kudos to you!
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum!

When you're ready, contact our member @ALDABRAMAN . He raises Aldabran tortoises, but he gets in rescued sulcatas quite often - bigger ones.
Thanks for the heads up. Ooooooh Aldabras are awesome; though I dont see myself being able to afford them XD. I am happy to take any advice from anyone willing to give it. I have most recently been checking out the organization/website TurtlerescueUSA, which is based in my state.

SJI

Thanks for the info! I read the "Beginner Mistakes" and "for those who have a young sulcata" already, but the other two are new, so I'll get reading.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the heads up. Ooooooh Aldabras are awesome; though I dont see myself being able to afford them XD. I am happy to take any advice from anyone willing to give it. I have most recently been checking out the organization/website TurtlerescueUSA, which is based in my state.

I'm sorry, I should have made it plainer. Aldabraman is in Florida and he takes in rescued sulcatas.

SJI

I'm sorry, I should have made it plainer. Aldabraman is in Florida and he takes in rescued sulcatas.
OH! Thanks for clarifying. I am sure he has a great deal of valuable info for me about my area.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, SJI and warm welcome from central Texas! Good for you for having some acreage! If I still lived in Florida (I used to) and had couple acres, I'd totally get a sulcata!!!! I love them!!! I went with the redfooted, (more "portable") and absolutely adore mine! Have fun learning and getting your tort stuff ready. Great to have you join our TFO!

SJI

Hi, SJI and warm welcome from central Texas! Good for you for having some acreage! If I still lived in Florida (I used to) and had couple acres, I'd totally get a sulcata!!!! I love them!!! I went with the redfooted, (more "portable") and absolutely adore mine! Have fun learning and getting your tort stuff ready. Great to have you join our TFO!
Thanks, Pearly. Oh, red-footed tortoises have beautiful color. I spent a few months in Crowell, Texas some years back. Good hunting out there.

I pose a question to you, and everyone else who reads this:

What is your personal biggest challenge in caring for tortoises?