Greetings from Wisconsin

Justin Gleiter

Location (City and/or State)
West Central Wisconsin
Hello all,
I am looking at getting my first tortoise. I have narrowed it down to one from three different types of torts. I have decided to go with a Western Hermanns. I chose this one because of the coloring that they have and the size of them. The issue that I have is to buy or adopt. Everything that I have been finding suggests to adopt, but what if you cannot find what you are looking for or do not have adoption centers near you? Do you go ahead and buy or do you choose a different tort? Any help here would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin, and welcome to the Forum!

It would be great if you could find one in a Rescue, however, you would be old and gray and no longer interested in tortoises by the time one became available. Go ahead and buy one. If you're in the States, HermanniChris at Garden State Tortoises is a wonderful place to buy from.

Justin Gleiter

West Central Wisconsin
Thanks Yvonne,
With all of the research I have done my first choice to buy from was Chris at Garden State Tortoises. I have always wanted a tortoise or a turtle, but the turtle that I would want I do not have the space, resources or the ability to get it. This turtle would be a sea turtle and since they are protected, I am getting a tortoise instead.

Justin Gleiter

West Central Wisconsin
Look what came for me yesterday. One proud Dad to a Western Hermann's. Could not have been more pleased with the advice and professionalism from Chris at Garden State Tortoise. Other pictures will be soon to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 10