Greetings from VA, housing ideas?

Argyle

Hi!,
I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, about 2 hours SW of Washington DC.
My Sulcata, Argyle, is 17yrs old and has been primarily a house tortoise - taking up the third bedroom in our 4 bedroom house.
BUT, we need our bedroom back and Argyle has learned how to break out of his kiddie-tank anyway, so it's time to build a tortoise house outside!
I'm hoping others who live in a similar climate would be willing to share pics and plans of their enclosures - most that I find on line are from people in FL, S. CA, and TX - warmer states than mine!
I could just do an insulated doghouse, but since this will be an enclosure Argyle is confined to for many months of the year, I think I need something bigger. Im thinking of a storage shed, insulated and heated with a a corner of it made into a "night box" type of enclosure, a "tortoise door" to the yard.
Im willing to DIY it if I have some good plans/guidance, but I'm a bit chicken to go it alone....
Carrie and Argyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your plan of a large insulated shed sounds good. Dog houses don't work well. You need guidance from Uncle Len: @Turtulas-Len
He's a keeper of large sulcatas from your neck of the woods.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings from a few hours north.

Yes, @Turtulas-Len should be able to give you some ideas. Wow, Your Sully is 17 years old or so and mostly house bound? Any pix of your guy?

A small shed, kane pig blanket or two, some fencing thst he can't see through.

How much room do you have in your garden for Sully?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Carrie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Argyle.:)