Greetings from Texas

Sandy Lou

Hi, everyone. I'm glad to have found this forum. We were gifted an adult redfoot tortoise yesterday and while we are familiar with a variety of animal species and their care, we've a lot to learn about caring for a tortoise. She's very personable. At least we think she's a she from what we've read and researched thus far. She was brought to us, with her empty "tortoise house" (a large commercially manufactured one), and a lamp from the local animal services department after having been left there. So, I just joined so that we could learn as much as we can to keep her healthy and happy. Thanks!

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Welcome to the forum Sandy Lou!
If you post some pictures, there are many redfoot keepers here that will help positively identify the tortoise persuasion and offer advice. Good pictures of the bottom shell and a couple different angles of the vent and tail are usually needed. Don't stop there though, post some face and top shell pics too. We love pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. One of our members has a great site for tortoise info too, specially RF, check it out, it's the tortoiselibrary.com

Sandy Lou

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the links and will check all of them. My first order of business this morning is to go and get some decent substrate, groceries, and a better light(bulb), and a watering hole better than one of my 9x13 casserole plates. When I said she came with her box and a lamp - that's all she came with. Have a great day!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Before you do so, do NOT spend your money on a compact florescent bulb for an indoor UVB source.
So many new members have purchased them and then had serious issues with tortoises eyes being damaged.

Sandy Lou

Welcome.
Before you do so, do NOT spend your money on a compact florescent bulb for an indoor UVB source.
So many new members have purchased them and then had serious issues with tortoises eyes being damaged.

I've read conflicting instructions on this. One is that they need a 100 W UVB/heat lamp and one is that they don't. I've not read anything about a "compact" one - but I have read about eye damage. Perhaps I should be on another forum - and feel free to direct me there if I need to go there.

I did buy the most expensive light bulb I've ever purchased before today. But it's still in the box. After reading the light bulb do's/don'ts/etc - I think that is what came with her because it has the same "shut off" feature. I'm going to examine that further later when we finish mixing the substrate for the box, etc.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use the Mercury Vapor Bulb:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

It is self-ballasted, which means if you turn it off after it's been on for a while, it won't turn back on until it has cooled down.

Zeropilot was cautioning you against buying this bulb:

CFL.jpg

Some of them are ok, and others burn tortoise's eyes, and it's impossible to know which is which.

Sandy Lou

I use the Mercury Vapor Bulb:

View attachment 195557

It is self-ballasted, which means if you turn it off after it's been on for a while, it won't turn back on until it has cooled down.

Zeropilot was cautioning you against buying this bulb:

View attachment 195558

Some of them are ok, and others burn tortoise's eyes, and it's impossible to know which is which.

Then I got the correct one. Thanks!