Greetings from Illinois!

MrPwndabear

Hello everyone,
This is my first of many posts here, recently the wife and I have discussed a tortoise as a pet. I am a veteran reptile owner of two beardies (Charmander and Parthanox) and A Ball Python (Indigo). Though I no longer have those pets due to being laid off a while back. I am back in work and miss the friendship of my scaly friends. My first reptile Charmander I made the mistake of not doing the research before buying, I learned real quick the proper care but put her at risk for the time I didn't know. So this time It's research, research, research, adopt. I will have many questions about proper care in the following months and hope you guys can help me through my journey of learning about these amazing animals! Any links to get started would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Which species are you considering ?
Our species specific section has lots of useful information pinned to the top of each species of tortoise

MrPwndabear

I have not decided on a species yet, in fact I am looking for advice on that as well. I live in an apartment, a rather big one. I have seen some tortoises that get huge and some that stay on the smaller size. So something on the smaller size would help be a better fit for my home.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hmmm.
Then one of the Testudo species, a Russian, Grrek or Hermann's, perhaps ?
But they all still need a minimum of 8" by 4' for an enclosure .

MrPwndabear

8ft by 4ft is do able. For lighting im assuming people still use the reptisun 10.0 UVB/UVA bulbs and normal heating bulbs? Are they climbers at all? or is a open top viv build normal for tortoises? For outside time is a simple 8 by 4 ft open wood box do able? or is there tortoise leashes like for beardies? Though i could see that being a problem with smaller Tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No leashes, a outdoor enclosure for free grazing/roaming is needed. The Russian is a great climber and they burrow, mine once climbed a tree. Fencing should be laid under their enclosure if your going to give them a fenced/bricked in area so they can dig and graze. You can also cover the top with fencing to prevent climbing escape.
Where in Illinois are you located? I'm in Chicago, Northsider.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
8ft by 4ft is do able. For lighting im assuming people still use the reptisun 10.0 UVB/UVA bulbs and normal heating bulbs? Are they climbers at all? or is a open top viv build normal for tortoises? For outside time is a simple 8 by 4 ft open wood box do able? or is there tortoise leashes like for beardies? Though i could see that being a problem with smaller Tortoises.
Yes, people use either a tube UVB plus heating bulb or an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) that combines heating, lighting and UVB in one. If you also need heating at night a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) connected to a thermostat is often employed.
Greeks and Hermann's are perhaps less prone to climbing, digging and escaping as Russians but they still do a bit given the chance. Depending on the age and species of tortoise, closed chambers are usually preferable to an open table, as it makes it easier to maintain humidity and heat. Depends on how humid it needs to be for the age and species.

MrPwndabear

yeah it is pretty dry out here in IL. Some days not so much but most yes. So i closed 8ft by 4ft viv. How are most of these enclosures made? Are they mostly wood, glass?

MrPwndabear

Now i know with turtles they cannot be handled because of the oils on our skin, or rather to keep handling to a minimum. Is that the same with tortoises?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Now i know with turtles they cannot be handled because of the oils on our skin, or rather to keep handling to a minimum. Is that the same with tortoises?
I've kept turtles for a very long time and never had any issues with oils from my skin. I also handle my torts daily with no issues

MrPwndabear

This all great info, thank you so much. I am curious about diet as well if you guys could enlighten me?