Greek tortoise soaking problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
About a week ago, I adopted a Greek Tortoise from my work. I already have a RedFoot and maybe I am just so used to the Redfoot enjoying soaks, walking around, pooping etc during soaking, but my new greek does none of those. He sits wherever he was placed, doesn't move, only lifts his head out of the water to breathe and then dunks it back under, and never poops. He stopped eating a few days ago, and I wanted to start more regular soaks to see if I can get his appetite back. He nibbled on a few weeds outside, but nothing to make a meal of, and in his cage inside he won't eat. He was eating fine at my work on spring mix and mazuri but now wants nothing to do with either.

I am learning he does not like being indoors, so in the next week his outdoor enclosure will be made so he can live outdoors all summer. Currently he's just roaming the free space in the yard that isn't near my other tortoises pen.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not all tortoises like to be soaked or will poop in them, that's fine, do it anyway. Also, you need to give him time to get adjusted. A week isn't that long. When you feed him, put the food down and walk away. Don't stand over him to see if he eats. Right now you are the one that wants to eat him, in his mind. When he realizes, you are the one that brings the food and won't eat him, he will be much more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.