Greek Tortoise Hibernation

amilleraz03

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a Greek Tortoise who I house outdoors and it is mid December here in Phoenix AZ were night time temperatures can drop to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. He hasn't dug in to hibernate yet and still seems responsive. What should I do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Evidently he doesn't think it's cold enough yet. Is he still eating? How long have you had him?

amilleraz03

Phoenix, Arizona
I've had him for 4 years but this is the first winter he has been housed outside, he accepted some dandelion today

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hibernation dates vary between late September and mid December for my Greek. This year he went down on Nov 30; after 46 years we go by Joe and he was ready.

However, I have concerns that temperatures are down to 40F and your tort is outside in that. You are very close to frosts at that temperature. You should be bringing your tortoise in at night.

You might find this thread I created useful about how I cope with the colder weather
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

amilleraz03

Phoenix, Arizona
Hibernation dates vary between late September and mid December for my Greek. This year he went down on Nov 30; after 46 years we go by Joe and he was ready.

However, I have concerns that temperatures are down to 40F and your tort is outside in that. You are very close to frosts at that temperature. You should be bringing your tortoise in at night.

You might find this thread I created useful about how I cope with the colder weather
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
Thanks that was helpful I weighed him right away and was happy to see he has gained weight since I last weighed him

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
In order for a tortoise to hibernate temperatures have to consistently be below 48 degrees day and night. Regardless if the temperature drops down to 40 degrees at night, if the daytime temperature is above 55-60 degrees and there is light of any kind the tortoise is going to be semi active and will not hibernate. This situation can actually be very dangerous to a tortoise when exposed to it for an extended period of time. They either need to hibernate or be fully active. Being "suspended" in the middle does not allow for their body functions to either slow down for hibernation or remain active for digestion.
The time of year that a tortoise hibernates is only a factor if the tortoise is kept outdoors 24/7 during the summer into fall or if kept outdoors year round. Three major environmental components determine a tortoises activity level (or lack of). Temperatures, light duration and light intensity. The activity of tortoises kept outdoors 24/7 is based almost solely on those three components along with the minor components of humidity (moisture levels) and food availability. Tortoises kept indoors year round are can only react to the conditions of their immediate surroundings and can therefore be "manipulated" with temperatures and light. The most confusing thing that can be done to disrupt a tortoises routine is to bring them in and outdoors based on random cold nights.