Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan

mikels

Virginia
Hi there,

Has anyone tried to bond this Oatey shower pan liner to wood as an indoor enclosure liner? What did you use? I was thinking about silicone w/ acetic acid solvent, but I'm concerned that it might not adhere effectively to one or both materials. I'd like to use a non-toxic adhesive. Any experiences or suggestions to share would be much appreciated.

I'm looking at buying two of the linked products, as I don't really want to purchase an entire roll.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HEC426/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thanks,
Mike

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi there,

Has anyone tried to bond this Oatey shower pan liner to wood as an indoor enclosure liner? What did you use? I was thinking about silicone w/ acetic acid solvent, but I'm concerned that it might not adhere effectively to one or both materials. I'd like to use a non-toxic adhesive. Any experiences or suggestions to share would be much appreciated.

I'm looking at buying two of the linked products, as I don't really want to purchase an entire roll.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HEC426/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thanks,
Mike
I glued mine to wood. I used what was recommended and sold in the same area. It's what is used to glue more then one piece together. I only glued the edges. It lasted about 3 years before it started coming loose. If I had done the whole liner it would have lasted longer.

mikels

Virginia
Thanks for the reply!

I wonder how well pvc adhesive bonds to wood. I am now thinking a physical bond could be better.

If the lower portion of the liner was glued in place, or even left free of adhesive, I imagine a thin strip of wood (maybe some type of trim) could be stapled to the wooden walls along the upper edge of the liner to keep it in place. The weight of substrate and perhaps a few rocks could help keep the lower portion in place. However, I'm not sure whether an adhesive-free construction would be ideal when it comes time to clean the installed liner. But then again, it might be nice to have the option of a smooth removal if the liner needs replacing down the road.

I have a pneumatic staple gun, so I'm considering this now... It would quick, and no cure time involved.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes to using a piece of trim molding all around the top of the liner, up xx inches. When I constructed our Sullys enclosure, i used multiple layers of thick plastic, with an even thicker tarp-like plastic that I folded up the sides of the walls to about 8 inches and stapled all around. Then, i used some trim molding all around the edge of the plastic tarp at the edges. Screwed those strips in, sealed. Had no leaks, no issues - and cheap n easy.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have used this in the last few closed chambers I have built and I love it! I cut it to fit so it rolled up the edges and covered it with strips of plywood and screwed them on. It works great!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Ty kindly. Will be upgrading our torts complex this week. Deciding whether plywood or PVC boards. Now with this, the decision has been made.