grass nutrional value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prawny

5 Year Member
Hey I was just wondering what is the nutrinal value of grass just general go out in the garden and pick some grass, grass? The reason I'm asking is that I seem to be spending a lot on greens for my torts and if I could just pick lots of grass and clover and dandilions I could save a lot more and keep my torts happy

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
As Long As The Grass and Dandelions and any Home Grown Greens Haven't Been In Contact With Pesticides, Or Fertilizers You Can Feed Them, Gather all You Want and Wash It Off, and Feed It :)
I Usally Make a Mix, With Grass, Rose pedals, Hisbicis Flowers and Leave, and Dandelions :)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I don't know what kind of regular grass you have growing - we have bermuda and it's RV's mainstay. She gets weeds - her choice, not all seem to please her - these we pull. We supplement with other items; cactus pads + flowers, hisbicis, dandelions as we can find them. As Jacob said, pesticide free.

RV thrives on her mainstay. bermuda.

good luck with your torts.

teri

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Grass and weeds is very good for your torts. In my opinion it is the best way to feed torts. My torts eat grass, plantains, clover, violets that grow in my yard. I do give them lots of other stuff as well. I feed cactus 2 times a week and veggis once a week along with mazuri.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you build a pen outside, they can graze what is growing and you dont have to feed them... or supplement with weeds you find... thats what I do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mine each have free grazing...a bonus is when I bring in yummies for them, once they eat it they, well, poo it out and when water mixes with the poo, so to speak, they get seedling plantings LOL....also the seeds from the stuff that does not get gobbled up then blows around into the growth in the enclosure then take seed as well and wala...more goodies...eventually they will have a good enough variety that I will not need to supplement them with goodies (well, except when I can't stand not doing it, for fun :p )...

My enclosures done have much "turf", but rather they have native grass that grows...so no bermuda here really...I have tried a patch or two of turf in one of the enclosures and it does spread...so I am sure eventually it will be prominent growth... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.