Gotta collect 'em all!

Kaliman1962

are you going to house them outside? i'm in Illinois, below zero, will they be okay?
i thought about a bedroom

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Holy crap! You guys have already had weather below zero? We haven't dipped lower then the teens yet.

The redfoot and two of my sulcatas are out in my tort shed. Right now it is set up with two 8x8 pens for each of the sullies, but has a 4x8 table at each end and shelving going the whole way around. It is insulated well and heated to 80 at ground level and that puts it at a perfect 85 at the redfoot table. Come next summer it will likely spend most of the summer outside, but my exact plans for that pen and night box isn't set up yet.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Oh my God yes! I mean, no. Can I? Argh!

I CURSE THEE CRAIGSLIST!

No, in all seriousness we were supposed to be closing on the house today, but it got pushed back till next week. So between that, the money I sank into the shed, and Christmas coming up, I don't think I have been as tapped as I am now in quite some time. So it's a sure bet I have to pass.

But I wants it...

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
It looks like that leopard is well cared for- and that is a more than fair asking price. But we have no room or need for another tort, unless it is a rescue then we have to take special considerations......

Are you bringing the shed to your new house?

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Yes. I built it in a way that (I'm hoping) should be able to be taken apart and put back up.

Though now that winter is full blast I may wait till spring and set up temporary pens in the basement till then.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
560g. +1g this week.

Holy slow week of growth!

I have half a dozen grass trays I planted for my little sulcata. I put one in the redfoot enclosure and she ate it bare in two days. She is eating grass at a faster rate than the sulcata!

So I added a couple more for her.

IMG_9243.jpg IMG_9240.jpg

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
697g. +137g since 12/19/16.

We bought a new house, so I had to take down the awesome tortoise shed and do some major scrambling to set up temporary set ups at the new house for everybody. Lilly Red Foot moved into a slightly smaller space because I moved Mr T the Sulcata into a bigger set up, so she inherited Mr T's former set up. It has made a constant 85F and higher humidity really easy. I have been measuring the humidity in her hide and have that tied to a fogger keeping a decently constant 85% inside the hide. I have went through less than 20oz of water in the fogger over the last two weeks. It is working really good. The rest of the enclosure seems to hang out around 78% give or take a degree or two.

She has become extremely curious and friendly. She appears to like being set up in the living room where she can come out and watch us. Anytime we get down near her cage she nearly comes running to check out what is going on and seems to really enjoy butt rubs and/or head scratches.

IMG_9394.jpg IMG_9395.jpg

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I hadn't planned on taking that photo of her with the tortoise. She basically just climbed into it and sat down. She LOVES the tortoises and the turtle. She asks several times a day to be taken down to the tortoise room so she can visit them. So she was happy that I actually pulled the red foot out of her enclosure and the red foot seems to genuinely like the attention.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
710g. +13g.

With some warm 60 degree weather in Michigan I let the tortoises all into the yard for a short time for their first sunshine in months. With no actual pens at the new house yet it was kind of hectic and stress inducing for me, but we got through it without losing a single tortoise. Luckily Lilly Red Foot and Mr T the Sulcata didn't move far and both stayed in a small area. The two big sulcatas and the russian gave me a work out and a half though.
IMG_0691.jpg

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
If all my new neighbors didn't know I was weird yet, they must have figured it out watching me play cattle dog to five free roaming tortoises in my backyard.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
That's a beautiful redfoot, I love the orange head colors. Don't sweat the tortoise "cattling", I do it all spring/summer/fall when I have time and the weather accommodates. Your neighbors will get used to it.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I figure they may as well figure out I'm weird right away.

And thank you for complementing the tortoise. She has really grown on me.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
738g.

Growing nicely. She has gained nearly 300g in the six months I have had her and all her new growth is coming in nice and smooth.

Her enclosure has become a center piece of our living room. Everyone that comes over smiles at the fact that she comes running to check out what is going on. It makes me sad to know that she can't stay in this enclosure much longer. She is outgrowing it.

IMG_0949.jpg