Gopher tortoise or Russian

S

Svetlana'smom

My husband just bought home the tortoise on the left that looks like a Russian like mine on the right but not sure if it is a small gopher tortoise we have many in my area can someone please confirm I have separated them and only together for photo thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
S

Svetlana'smom

By the way he was walking down our street had massive poops while be picked up and has eaten a whole head of romain already

S

Svetlana'smom

My husband just bought home the tortoise on the left and it looks like my Russian on the right but I think it may be a gopher tortoise he was walking down the street and I had them together for the photo only it has eaten a whole head of romaine

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
S

Svetlana'smom

Can someone tell me if the tortoise I see a Russian or small gopher

Attachments

• IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Russian

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, it seems like it's a Russian, too.
Probably someone is very upset at the loss of a cherished pet. :(
Please advertise on Craigslist, but don't mention the species, as people try to obtain a free tortoise, put up posters in the area, knock door to door and ask at local vets and animal rescue centres. Russian's are expert escape artists.
Also, a tort should be quarantined for several months before being placed with another one. They can be riddled with diseases and parasites not immediately apparent.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you ever do find a wild Gopherus tortoise, please, please, please don't plunk it down next to a Russian for a photo op. Disease transfer is a huge risk for wild Gopherus tortoises. It's unsafe for your pet and for the entire wild population when it is eventually released. Quarantine is important regardless of species, but exposing a native Gopher tortoise to a captive Russian is one of the worst missteps.

Thankfully, you found someone's lost pet Russian. There is still a risk of disease transfer between both of these tortoises (so they should not have been allowed to meet), but at least your visitor won't be returning to the wild.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you ever do find a wild Gopherus tortoise, please, please, please don't plunk it down next to a Russian for a photo op. Disease transfer is a huge risk for wild Gopherus tortoises. It's unsafe for your pet and for the entire wild population when it is eventually released. Quarantine is important regardless of species, but exposing a native Gopher tortoise to a captive Russian is one of the worst missteps.

Thankfully, you found someone's lost pet Russian. There is still a risk of disease transfer between both of these tortoises (so they should not have been allowed to meet), but at least your visitor won't be returning to the wild.
So second this!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're both Russians. If you decide to keep it after a fruitless search for its owner, be sure to quarantine.